Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm interested in picking up a king cleveland tenor and found one on craigslist. I asked the serial number, and the seller said that they could not see it (seems to be worn off?) but that it had the image of a clock tower in the engraving...

Any idea what period this would be? or what serial numbers had it?

a few searches yielded nothing, but i figure if anyone will know, ya'll will :)

thanks,

·
Banned
864 Posts
Hi all,
I'm interested in picking up a king cleveland tenor and found one on craigslist. I asked the serial number, and the seller said that they could not see it (seems to be worn off?) but that it had the image of a clock tower in the engraving...

Any idea what period this would be? or what serial numbers had it?

a few searches yielded nothing, but i figure if anyone will know, ya'll will :)

thanks,
That's not a clock tower. It's either the Empire State Building or some other building in Cleveland that looks like the ESB (I was never really clear on this). At any rate, those are referred to as the "Empire" Clevelands and they date to the 1950s.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

·
Insert cutesy caption du jour here
673 Posts
Based on your description of the engraving...... the only building in Cleveland (from that era) that fits your description would be the "Terminal Tower" (and NO it's not sick). The Terminal Tower was the tallest building downtown since it was built (up until a couple of decades ago). The Terminal Tower had and still does have offices in it, the main train terminal was in the basement of the building (which is where it got it's name from), and Higbees department store was also part of the building complex on the ground floor.

The main display window was the one used in the parade scene in the movie "A Christmas Story" with Ralphy and the Red Rider BB gun.

There's your history lesson for the day boys and girls......

Class dismissed!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,186 Posts
Those are good horns...grab it if it's under $600 and in good playing shape. if it's not in good playing shape, should only run about $300-400 tops.

Very underrated horns, the pre-Eastlake Clevelands....after I had my tech work one up into poppin' shape....he didn't wanna give it back to me !!!!!

...and Tommy D...in honor of you:

http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/cleveland/terminaltower.jpg

...thanks for the history lesson. It's a nice building !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts