Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are pollster's compiling results of their polls, or just looking for conversation? I mean, compiling results is what polls are for, aren't they? I mean no disrespect and I have contributed to a few polls here. I'd just like to see the results after say, a dozen pages have been filled.

Anybody agree? And no, this isn't another poll:bluewink:

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Many PhD's have been earned after thesis papers have been submitted regarding SOTW poll results.
Yes. In fact, The Psychology of Polls is one of the required courses in most MMFM programs.

(MMFM = Master of Music Forum Management)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well then, how's about a poll about guys who start polls, and why they start them? Now there's a poll to poll about.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Well then, how's about a poll about guys who start polls, and why they start them? Now there's a poll to poll about.
I like the idea, but the only way to find out if other members would want such a poll is to start a poll on whether we should have a poll about people who start polls.

Side note: I'm starting to realize why there's a lot of money in the polling business. George Gallup was a smart man.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More seriously; whats the point of a poll about which female singer has the best tone? How does that matter? They're not running for office. Speaking of that, how many have voted for a candidate or an issue of importance because of a poll result? Heck of it is that for ever poll there's another one with opposite results. Sure, Gallup made a zillion bucks by polling 1000 people and extrapolating from the result what a majority thinks about an issue. I took statistics in college as no doubt did many others on this site. But "who has the best tenor tone? Who's the best guitar player? Piano player? What's the point? I like Joe Pass. You like Bucky Pizzarelli, he likes, Herb Ellis, they like Django. So - what's the consensus? Will anybody change his mind?

No offense.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
More seriously; whats the point of a poll about which female singer has the best tone? How does that matter?
I can't speak definitively for the person who started that female singer poll, but my impression of it was that it was intended to be illustrative of some points that were put forth in, or general feelings about, the famous Kenny G vs. Coltrane Soprano Tone poll.

Regarding SOTW polls in general, I guess some people just like to get a snapshot of popular opinion amongst members on various issues. I don't think they prove anything, other than what percentage of those choosing to vote in them think about whatever the question is, or at least which response choices offered to them they prefer. It's probably just general human interest more than anything.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,948 Posts
I took a poll on this awhile ago. 78% of SOTW members did not want to have polls about the results of polls. 62% did not even want to know the results of polls. That's why I never told anyone about my poll until now.
I am gonna start a poll as to whether Buck actually really did take the above poll a while back.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,948 Posts
I can't speak definitively for the person who started that female singer poll, but my impression of it was that it was intended to be illustrative of some points that were put forth in, or general feelings about, the famous Kenny G vs. Coltrane Soprano Tone poll.
I am sorta wishin' that were true....unfortunately, it may be giving that OP more (incredibly dry humour-) credit than deserved....

BTW...that poll had a 1-star rating up for over a week...when one day a moderator took down the star-rating icon altogether....it was gone for several days...and now it's back again...

I found that a bit.... strange....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts