Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
It stays on my stand all the time. Easier to pick up, and dries better after a gig. Even when I come back from a long gig night, I put it out of its case and back on the stand.
+1. I do take off the neck/mpc with a cap.

For me, the big thing is to keep a sax out until it's relatively dry before sticking it away in a case. If I don't have the luxury of leaving it out on a stand (ex: packing up after a gig), I run a swab through or use a padsaver to get excess moisture out of it before putting it away...and then pull it out and stick it on a stand once I'm home.
Sorry OP, Aren't Padsavers bad to keep inside the sax?

-Bubba-

·
Registered
223 Posts
Everytime i finish playing my horn, even if i did it for a 10 minutes soundcheck, i swab the inside of the body several times with a BG cloth, same for the neck.Then i use a smoking paper to clean the toneholes and pads, i just place the paper under the pad and press the button or key and then release it and remove the paper finding most of the times excess of saliva in it.I also swab the outside of the horn superficially.After this i store a big bag of silica gel inside the body and another one in the neck and put the sax back in its case ALWAYS.
If i have time, i leave the case open with the sax inside during 15/20 minutes and then close it.
Many times my bandmates have been desperate waiting for me to finish the ritual and get into the car back home or somewhere else.
This practice never has make me feel lazy about gettin' the sax out for playing just 5/10 minutes and i feel really satisfied after doing all this cleaning.

·
Registered
544 Posts
After I'm done practicing or after a gig (happens once in a million blue moons) i swab my sax and put it back in the case. I feel like having to open up the case to take out the sax and start practicing is the point of no return. :twisted:

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
On the stand all the time, to let it dry properly after practice.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
Well now I feel somewhere between ashamed and inadequate.

I can see the sense in what's being said but the road to my particular hell is paved with good intentions. In an ideal world, after a gig, I would swab my horns and mouthpieces. And, in truth, I have bursts of doing that. But mostly instead I get them into the cases as quickly as humanly possible because otherwise they can get trampled in the packing up of drums and PA. Usually it's me that's packing up and carrying the PA to my vehicle without any help. When I've finished doing that I'm in such a foul mood, especially if the money is late in arriving, that I just want to get out of there and on the road.

By the time I get home (often a 2 hour drive because I choose to live away from the metropolis) I am OVER the whole thing and it's 2am. I drag my cases inside and leave them by the front door. The PA I leave in the back of my ute (pickup) hoping some one will steal it.

Then for the rest of the week I see the cases when I come in and go out the front door and have thoughts that I really should get the horns out and clean, or practise, or regulate, or whatever. But too many times that's where they stay. Thankfully I don't live in the tropics so mould growth hasn't been a problem so far.

Then it's gig time again.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
The silver horns always go into their tarnish-proof bags and then into the case after a thorough drying. The gold and lacquer horns tend to sit on stands after playing (lately mostly the bari) -- until the cleaning woman is due, and then it goes in the case for protection.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
California, dust and dogs. Who'd have guessed?!?

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Most of the time I use them like they're a swab, and then leave it outside the case (kind of an either/or thing depending on what I have with me at the time).
I hate those pad saver thingies. !. they seem to leave a lot of fibers / hairs behind. 2. they don't clean as good as a pull through swab. The one musicmedic carries is great.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Haven't we done this pole about five times now?

For me, on the stand after playing.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I hate those pad saver thingies. !. they seem to leave a lot of fibers / hairs behind. 2. they don't clean as good as a pull through swab.
The HW Products Pad-Saver does not shed fibers. It does a great job of cleaning, in my humble opinion. I have Tenor Pad-Savers for my Body, Bell, and Neck. I clean them with Dawn detergent every few months (the neck-saver more often as it gets a little more gunky.)

For a while I was using a swab and the Pad-Savers, but now have stopped swabbing altogether. I know: :tsk: :)

As for the stand issue, I have one stand and I often leave it in my car so I usually clean my horn and stick it in the case. Unless my stand happens to be in the house in which I will sometimes leave the horn out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I leave mine on the stand when not playing/practicing. It only goes in the case for transportation.
+1 for me. I keep my T990 on the stand for easy access at home. I keep my silver Z in the case and take it out to the gigs. I used to keep my Z on the stand, but the tarnish just got to be too much to keep up with.

·
Super Moderator
26,299 Posts
The only time I've ever damaged my horns has been related to being on a stand. I put them in the case, or set them on a table if I'm going to come back to them. Since I live in one of the most humid places on the planet, My horns actually dry out better in the case.

I also have a Taylor acoustic guitar. Taylor recommends keeping the guitar in its case.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It's on the stand for me. I swab the neck and mouthpiece after the gig or practice and like some others here, "plunge" a pad saver through it a few times. At home I just put it on the stand to dry out and to call me for more practice! When I get home after a gig, I usually set it on a stand. I purchased an extra set of stands to make this process easy. I have a pad saver for tenor and one for alto that work great. I also got one for my soprano but it sheds little red fibres like a synthetic Irish Setter. I really don't know the brand names but it seems clear all pad savers are not made the same.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts