Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
I like to keep it on the stand so I can pick it up and play it easily but I just can't do it. I have horrible nightmares of an earthquake knocking my horn of the stand and messing it up bad. I know it sounds nuts but I do live in California. So I put it away 90 percent of the time and the other 10 percent of the time I leave it on the stand and trip out about it the whole time.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
It stays on my stand all the time. Easier to pick up, and dries better after a gig. Even when I come back from a long gig night, I put it out of its case and back on the stand.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
A couple of years ago, during a typically humid Missouri summer, I played bari almost every night in a pit orchestra and left the bari in its case when I got home. Grew a good crop of mold. Now my saxes go on their stands as soon as I get home, no matter what the weather.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
A case for now seems safer than a stand with kids running around.... even though, I put them out of reach -- a then 2 yr old tipping over an alto inside a contoured 140-BAM case did some damage, lesson learnt. I like the IDEA of the stand, though.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i keep my saxes in their cases. i dont mind the routine taking it out and assembling it and putting it away kinda thing. over the years ive gotten more and more OCD-ish about swabbing and wiping down the entire horn inside and out though. if im at a gig and i dont have time to do that, that would be the first thing i do when i get home. i keep a soft cloth in each of my cases so each instrument has their own cloth that i use to wipe them with because i also wipe between the keys, rods and keyguards. i swab each instrument at least 3 to 5 times then keep a pad saver in the tube and the necks. im beginning to get to the point where im using q-tips to get to the extra hard to reach places. of course, i also have key oil, but dont use it unless its absolutely necessary, or if i take my horns apart. this reminds me...my flute needs a repad! :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Unless I'm on the go, my main horns mostly live on the stand. (At this point in life we have no children at home, no pets, and there aren't many earthquakes in South Carolina.) But I do try to take VERY good care of my horns at all times.

·
1,127 Posts
Sometimes I'll keep saxes out for a few weeks at a time, sometimes they go back into their cases a while after playing them (a while being a few hours in most cases).

For me, the big thing is to keep a sax out until it's relatively dry before sticking it away in a case. If I don't have the luxury of leaving it out on a stand (ex: packing up after a gig), I run a swab through or use a padsaver to get excess moisture out of it before putting it away...and then pull it out and stick it on a stand once I'm home.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,249 Posts
It stays on my stand all the time. Easier to pick up, and dries better after a gig. Even when I come back from a long gig night, I put it out of its case and back on the stand.
Exactly and 100% identical to what I do.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I put them back in the case. I run a swab through 2-3 times, plunge the pad saver a couple of times, put the pad saver in the body, and put the horn in the case. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I put them back in the case. I run a swab through 2-3 times, plunge the pad saver a couple of times, put the pad saver in the body, and put the horn in the case. Never had a problem.
Ditto here...If I were in a bachelor pad (etc.) the stand approach would be attractive...right next to my smoking jacket and the latest copy of Plowbouy. Instead, I live with a cat, a dog, my wife, a stepdaughter, grandson, the Cascadia Subduction Zone and nearby Mt St. Helens...I'm usin' cases ova here.

GPD

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,616 Posts
I leave my horn on the stand. During the last big earthquake in southern california, i had some instruments out on stands. None of them fell over. One did get damaged, but that was caused by another object that fell onto it, not the stand falling over. So, if you live in the Ring of Fire zone, keep your sax stands away from things that could fall on them (speakers, mic stands, framed art, etc).

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow thats crazy about the earthquake and an object hitting you sax glad it didn't hit you . I guess if you live in Cali you should be inside like in a a case away from anything that could fall ?

·
8,275 Posts
Very similar to me - I stuff the neck, bell and bore and put them in the cases for transport. At home, I put the cases on a rack I have for the horns in the attached garage. It stays cool to cold in the winter and probably doesn't get over 80F in the summer. I've never had any problems doing this.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hi Soybean. My other Passion is seismology and if the right earthquake comes your horns will go over or worse if they're on a stand.

If you're calling the Northridge quake the last big earthquake they didn't fall because it was a thrust quake and the movement was vertical in most places.

If you're citing the Easter quake of last year then it was too far away to cause problems in the Los Angeles area.

Now if you're in the Bay area and you're talking 89 and Loma Prieta well you were just lucky.

We are talking about forces that made a firetruck bounce across the floor like a basketball in Los Angeles. In Japan the Tohoku mega quake actually moved Honshu 8 feet closer to America. The total energy released was....equivalent to 9,320 gigatons of TNT, or approximately 600 million times the energy of the Hiroshima bomb.

Take it from me if the right earthquake hits there could be horizontal shaking because most faults here are strike - slip and cause horizontal shaking.

So if it was Northridge don't let it lull you into a false sense of security.

Would you want your horns on a stand in this apartment? Don't be cavalier.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.