Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, at the other end of the world we don't get quite the access to try things, so I am interested in others experience of alternative necks. I have an early Yanagisawa 880 alto which I feel could do better and often wonder if I should bite the bullet and order another neck.It just feels like it could open up more. I also have a Selmer mk VII tenor which I'm happy with but as I said any experiences? Are they worth it? What can they do? Thanks.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Yanagisawa sells a Number of alternatives which could fit or be made to fit your early Yani all of them promise different results sax.co.uk has generally good prices and not so long ago there was a special offer for a 50% discount
http://www.sax.co.uk/acatalog/Custom_crooks_for_alto.html
Similarly you could try (but that would be a bit more of a chance buying ) other necks on your Mark VII among the ones that are available on the same page.

http://www.sax.co.uk/acatalog/Custom_crooks_for_alto.html

Registered
I would swear the best necks for Alto and Tenor are the handmade-necks from Tino Schucht (Germany). It'll open up the sound of your Yani and will bring more power to the Mark 7. There are several models for several sound-concepts, but all necks I tried were/are amazing. Beside that, Tino is a great guy to deal with.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
Necks that work well on my Mk VII tenor that I use: Serie III, Serie III goldbrass, Barone.

On my Yani T880 and A990u I use Keilwerth SX necks (as well as the originals).
Their tenons have to be reduced properly by a tech to fit.
The Keilwerth SX necks work well on these horns that I own.
The bore/aperture of the SX necks are some what larger than the Yani necks.

Perceived tone differences are subjective, I'll just say that I like the ones that I mentioned.
YMMV.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
Snake Oil vs. the Cure

OK, since everyone seems to be lauding aftermarket necks, I feel it only my duty to CAUTION.

These are a very, very slippery slope.

Indeedy, if you are not ready to spend $500 on someone of great repute custom-making you a neck for a horn model which they have made other necks for...prepare for a mess.

People think it's just a matter of making a neck 'fit' a horn. Most don't realize all of the specs which go into a neck. It's not just Tenon size. It's overall length, it's bore, it's taper...then, to a lesser degree it's pip placement. Any of these (and many more aspects) can mess up a horn's intonation. "yeah man, it sounds like a beast now, but the A's are torture !"

I usually have apopleptic fits when I see a seller lauding how this replacement neck will do wonders for the tone of your horn, etc.

Which horn in particular is the seller speaking of ?

Several ?

Most?

Most all ?

B#ll****......

I buy horns with no necks all the time, and pray that I have a neck or tenon here which fits the body or is w/i alterable allowances. But that is only 1/4 of the battle. Using a tuner, oftentimes the neck with so much promise turns out to be a nightmare. Other times it requires add'l alteration (i.e shortening or lengthening, bore inserts, etc.).
The intonation may end up right.... but the horn loses it's signature tone.
Or, alas, you nail both tone and get the intonation within respectable variance....Yay !
Until you play the Low B and it sounds like an Evinrude, regardless of how you contort your embouchure...

...I could go on.....

It's a fun Dr. Jekyl-Mr. Hyde sorta thing to do....but, being as I am not into the immediate gratification thang, anyway....it's time consuming if you really wanna get that neck attuned to the body.

Fair to say that through trial and error people have found some necks which work OK on other horns, and may even make 'em pop more...as we see in the replies above. That's cool. So, if you must, stick to feedback from several, several other players. At least it provides some sort of yardstick.

But with due respect, the particular model necks should be applying only to particular horn models and vintages. Beware of anyone who claims otherwise...

And proceed with a lotta caution..... or a lotta $$$ and time to wait for the custom neck to arrive....

I have an early Yanagisawa 880 alto which I feel could do better and often wonder if I should bite the bullet and order another neck.It just feels like it could open up more...
Have you discussed this with a tech, also ? It could be things other than neck-related...

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
well, I think that since not too many people (aside from a few crazy people like myself and some other folks I know on a certain forum.......:whistle:[rolleyes] ) buy several horns they had to find something else to sell.......:mrgreen:

I would ask a tech. Tell him your impressions of how you feel the horn could open up a bit more.....It may just be something as simple as adjusting a few keyheights. Really...it can be that straightforward....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts