Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Kenny G concert on Friday and I felt so touched and excited. I listened to his music 13 years ago when I started to play alto. I only played for two years (from 1998-99)but I always want to pick it up. Especially I like sop sax. After his concert I cannot resist the desire to buy a sop and Antigua 582 seems be the best choice for me for both budget (price around $850) and quality. I just do not know whether my 2 years background will help me for soprano sax. As a college student the $1k is really a big amount to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,880 Posts
think of what would happen when you will listen to some real music..............then you would want to buy a real saxophone! :twisted: No seriously, Antiguas are good horns, you will start a lifetime journey. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
2 years is great for fingerings, mechanics, and a general idea of what you need to do but after all this time, I am sure your embouchure and air support are gone. It'll help you can focus more on intangibles than fiddling with your fingers, but I'd get a teacher! Soprano is a tricky devil, even for seasoned players.

As for the Antigua, I can't speak for the quality of those horns however, I do know that Barone, Bahaus Walstein, and Kessler all produce excellent horns. I'd leave this area to be answered by other members though.

Have fun! :)

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
For sop I would suggest you try the BW deluxe bronze model before you buy.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you can find a used yamaha 475 it'll be a great horn and will hold its value...unlike the Antigua. I wouldn't suggest dropping more than $400 on a chinese sop, like the BW deluxe. I bought a bandnow sop for $100 used and it plays very well...so no reason to spend a lot of money if you're going to buy something on par with that. I also have a yani 991 though, so that it the horn I actually use.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Saxmsy, good for you.

In my opinion, your gut level desire to pick up a horn and play music is the focus here. Do what ever it takes to nurture that need. It doesn't matter what brought you to that feeling...just be glad it happened and "roll with it, baby"!

If you follow the saxophone path for very long, you will know and own many horns. For now, just buy what works with today's budget and skills and let it take you to the next level. Go for it!

GPD

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
+1 Kenny G strikes again! Antiguas sould be fine, but the BW, either in brass or bronze could possibly be better.

·
38,880 Posts

·
38,880 Posts
If you can find a used yamaha 475 it'll be a great horn and will hold its value...unlike the Antigua. I wouldn't suggest dropping more than $400 on a chinese sop, like the BW deluxe. I bought a bandnow sop for $100 used and it plays very well...so no reason to spend a lot of money if you're going to buy something on par with that. I also have a yani 991 though, so that it the horn I actually use.
I have had 3 YSS475 for sale (I am not exactly a dealer but finance my hobby like many SOTW by occasionally selling things that I buy on purpose), good solid horns but, in my opinion, nowhere near the complexity (played them side by side with the same mouthpiece) of my curved BW which is a horn that I absolutely love. I assume the straight is also nice (I just prefer curvies) and I have just ordered a sopranino.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I went to Kenny G concert on Friday and I felt so touched and excited. I listened to his music 13 years ago when I started to play alto. I only played for two years (from 1998-99)but I always want to pick it up. Especially I like sop sax. After his concert I cannot resist the desire to buy a sop and Antigua 582 seems be the best choice for me for both budget (price around $850) and quality. I just do not know whether my 2 years background will help me for soprano sax. As a college student the $1k is really a big amount to me.
Hi, glad to know that. But in order to achieve/maintain good tone on sopranosax, 3-5 hrs practice per day is a minimum requirment.
Work hard!
Enjoy!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi, glad to know that. But in order to achieve/maintain good tone on sopranosax, 3-5 hrs practice per day is a minimum requirment.
Work hard!
Enjoy!
Uhh...no. You can work on your soprano's tone as part of a normal practice routine as with any of the other types of sax.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for advice and encouragement. I know soprano sax is much harder than alto and I already prepare to practice hard. I did not know that BW is also good brand in low price range. I shot for Autigua before because I found several posts in this forum saying that their sops are good. Now i have to balance between Autigua and BW.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
http://kennygsaxophones.com/kgss.html You could just try going to the source of your inspiration. http://www.musicfactorydirect.com/m-2-kenny-g.aspx

I have a friend and a brother who both have Antigua Sopranos (one of them was going to buy the Kessler model and Kessler themselves suggested the Antigua for his purposes - he plays professionally and quite often).

The fact is that there are many great horns out the in prioduction at the lower price range so good luck and enjoy.

(And for all the "haters" out there. Kenny G's success is probably more responsible for any interest in the saxophone over the last 30 years than you probably woul dlike to know, so next time you get a gig or hear someone say - "oh, I love the saxophone", there's a good chance that Kenny G could be a big part of the reason why. When I worked at a music store during the "songbird" years - he was more responsible for selling John Coltrane records then Coltrane and Miles put together.)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
....and so continues the legend of the G man..

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
After coming back from Kenny G concert I wanna a stop sax

Don't let him put you off!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts