Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to purchase an affordable professional alto saxophone. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at the CE Winds sax and was wondering if anyone has ever heard of one or have any experience with one. Please recommend a horn.
Thanks

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
Yanagisawa 901 series. I play tested horns for a year before I made up my mind on the Yani. In my opinion you can't get any better for the price, and the 901 is better than some more expensive horns.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Take a look at names such as Barone, Buescher, Cannonball, Conn, Keilwerth, King, Martin, P. Maurait, Selmer, Yamaha, Yanagisawa, etc; the list goes on.

You can find many affordable top-named horns like Selmer's and Yamaha's at reasonable prices at even the For Sale section of this forum. Personally, I'd go with Cannonball, amazing price for an amazing horn; just my opinion.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My suggestion would be to first think "used". Look for a clean one with no or few dents, dings, and scratches, that would indicate good care by the owner(s). That would allow you to think of the more expensive brands like Selmer, that you might otherwise dismiss when thinking "affordable". Used Series II and III horns are available for roughly half to 2/3 the price of a new one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
"Affordable" covers a wide range. Post how much you want to spend. There may be guys on the forum who have horns for sale that fit what you want.
I would also tend toward the used horns and Brands that have a track record and good potential resale value. In order of bang for the buck, I would look as follows: Yanigisawa, Yamaha (62) ,Selmer Mark VII, Yamaha 875, Selmer Series 1 and 2. Of course you should try them before you buy and form your own preference. Also, many of the vintage horns can be very good buys, depending on condition. "The Martin" (tenor, alto, or bari) comes to mind.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,213 Posts
"Affordable" covers a wide range. Post how much you want to spend. There may be guys on the forum who have horns for sale that fit what you want.
Precisely.

If what you are saying is you have $500-600 and want a pro alto....then really, you have no choice but used/vintage.

Because ....if you said you want a new pro-calibre horn for under, say....$750....

....fu'gedda'boud'it

(as they used to say in my old 'hood).

Now, if you said you want a pro horn which is new or almost new and have $850+ to spend, then you are back in the ballpark.....

(Now...if what you want is a nice playing vintage alto of pro quality for under $400 shipped, all setup nicely to play...PM me ...because I have just gotten 4 worked up at the tech and am gonna be listing 'em come Monday......)

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you're looking for a new horn, you might have to take Selmer out of consideration. Seriously consider new Yamaha -- arguably (here comes a terrible colloquialism) the best bang for your buck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,239 Posts
Yup, nearly any truly professional horn becomes much more affordable when purchased second hand. As you buy them for market value, you also don't generally lose value. Yeah, yeah, folks like those shiny new imports, all fresh from the cookie cutters... but that's not where the true value is.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I need to purchase an affordable professional alto saxophone. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at the CE Winds sax and was wondering if anyone has ever heard of one or have any experience with one. Please recommend a horn.
Thanks
CE Winds is Taiwanese right guys? Lots of good horns are coming out of Taiwan nowadays, especially Phil Barone's, P. Mauriat's, and MacSax's. Yami and Yani make excellent pro horns but, they will be about twice as expensive as your CE Winds. I personally vouch for checking out Phil Barone's stuff, he has excellent prices, includes a handcrafted rubber mouthpiece, and the horn is well built and sounds excellent. He also offers a money back guarantee ;) Have you also considered buying vintage?

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,840 Posts
Antigua Winds is a very good inexpensive alto that is good for a semi-pro or college student on a budget. B:cool:

·
Registered
202 Posts
You are on the exact right track! Check out a CE Winds horn before anything else. I have tried everything out there, every price range, including all brands mentioned in this post. I recently purchased a CE Winds soprano because it flat-out demolished my Yani 991 soprano head-to-head. Great horns, unbelievable prices, great people.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
If I were you I would highly consider a MacSax. They're basically the same horn as a Barone as they come from the same factories in Taiwan; they're just imported by different guys with different brands stamped on them (i.e. one's stamped "MacSax" and the other "Barone").

However, MacSax president Mike Crouch, a highly respected member of the forum, is running a SUPER promotion where you can get the MacSax tenor of your choice plus a Theo Wanne professional mouthpiece of your choice (retail value: $800) for $1895. That means if you were to resell the mouthpiece for $700 (what they usually fetch in mint, unused condition on here) you have yourself a brand new pro tenor for $1195. That's almost unbelievable!

Check out the details at their site:

http://macsax.com/

Though the site says the offer is only good for a MacSax Classic, in this recent thread Mr. Crouch said he would offer the special on any of the horns he sells--including his Deluxe "Magnum" model, which has been compared favorably to a Selmer Mark VI:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=122822&highlight=macsax+offer

Plus MacSax offers a money-back guarantee on every horn it sells--even those with special order finishes. I just heard from someone who recently ordered a special-order nickel-plated MacSax that he went with MacSax when he found out that Barone would not offer such a money-back/satisfaction guarantee on a special-order finish (i.e. once he bought it, it would have been his to keep).

Lastly if you're curious to hear what a pro MacSax Magnum tenor sounds like, check out this recent thread in which Dan Forshaw plays his Magnum at a recent gig:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=122942&highlight=macsax

(I believe it's the youtube from Dan's Nov. 9 gig.)

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Thanks
I would seriously look at a Phil Barone horn with a Phil Barone mouthpeice. Phil is a highly knowledgable and respected member of this forum and the saxophone community in general and he has produced an absolutely professional horn at an unbeleivable price point. Additionally his moutpieces speak for themselves.

Morales search this forum for reviews on his saxophones and have a look at his website:

http://www.philbarone.com/

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Thanks
I forgot to mention that Phil offers a money-back guarantee on EVERYTHING and the prices for his rolled tone hole horns are hundreds less than his competitors

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Yep, I'd recommend a Barone. I'd heard such good things here but was a little sceptical because people tend to get carried away with fads here, but I recently played another SOTW member's one year old Barone and loved it. Comparing it to a YTS-82Z (most time I've spent on a modern tenor) it's a much bigger and nicer sound. I'm saving up myself to buy one in a month or two.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Yep, I'd recommend a Barone. I'd heard such good things here but was a little sceptical because people tend to get carried away with fads here, but I recently played another SOTW member's one year old Barone and loved it. Comparing it to a YTS-82Z (most time I've spent on a modern tenor) it's a much bigger and nicer sound. I'm saving up myself to buy one in a month or two.
Twombles62,

Send me your phone number and we'll go over what I have in my inventory so I can hold onto it. That way I'll have it in stock when you're ready to pull the trigger. My emaill address is [email protected]. Phil

·
Registered
148 Posts
A lot depends on what you want to use it for. If you are going to college/classical/etc, I would try to get something with a modern key setup. If you are looking to gig, play rock/blues/jazz shows, etc - vintage might be a great place to look.

I got my martin tenor for about $400 and $200 professional setup. It plays like a dream - and I have no plans to replace it in the future. It has an amazing sound and makes a great gig horn. You sacrifice some of the key ergonomics for the sound/price - but if you are just doing gigs with it - it is great way to start. Plus - a lot of people love seeing the vintage horns out being played. I get at least 1 person per gig asking me about my horn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts