Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there saxophonists

I'm thinking of buying a gig bag. I know this is a bit of a bad idea for a bari, however I borrowed a friends the other day and it was sooo much easier to get around the tubes etc by having a lighter case on my back. I would definitely keep my selmer flight case and only use the gig bag on occasions where I have a lot of walking to do.

Saying that, I am very nervous about the bari getting damaged. Can anyone give me some advise on the most advanced gig bag with regards to protection whilst being lightweight?

Thanks buddies!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
I've got a bari in for service that's been touted around in a gig bag. Needs £300's worth of work.

That said, I've seen a few that have very substantial padding...but I'd still be cautious. Perhaps the best bet is a lightweight shell case, like the Berkeley.
No padding in it worth mentioning, but should be more than adequate for hefting around town.

Regards,

·
Registered
99 Posts
For more than 6 years I've been using a Gard gigbag for my bari (no hard case whatsoever) . So far so good. Of course, I am always careful , avoiding bumps and placing objects on top of it. Even once I put it in the overhead compartment of the airplane, but I was very nervous. So for longer trips I am getting a hard case but on shorter trips, especially in the trunk of my car, I'll keep using the gigbag, since it is so much lighter, unless I manage to get one of those mentioned by Stephen Howard in the previous post.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm a big fan of gig bags and use the reunion blues models on both Alto and tenor. For Bari though I've stuck to a hard case it just gets too many bumps. That said a good piece of advice I was given was that if you are careful and don't let anyone else carry your horn a gig bag would be ok and so far on the my other instruments I've not had any mishaps. Reunion blues for me.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I would think that both the possiblity of an accident and the cost of the repair would increase exponentially compared to an alto or tenor in a gig bag.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've been using a cronkhite gig bag for three years and haven't had any damage to my bari. I walk miles a week with my horn so it is the most comfortable way to get around.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I use a Gard also, but I don't let anyone carry my horn around and I never let it out of my sight. I really don't expect it to protect my horn against anything other than small incidental contact, though it does make it easy to transport.

Know the risks. Know yourself. And use a gig bag with care.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I too have a Gard (wheelie) bag. I've sort of gone away from using it, in favor of a ProTec that I sling over my shoulder. However, for a while this past year, I had some pretty severe sciatica issues and used the Gard bag - the wheels make it so much easier to get around. It really doesn't offer much protection - similiar to a soft sided gig bag, I'd say - and I never let anyone else carry (or wheel) it around. For a while I'd been thinking of a wheeled SKB or BAM case, but now that my back/leg issue has subsided, I'm getting by with the ProTec.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Whatever your choice of gig bag, your tech will thank you.

Stuff happens. It happens more often if you use gig bags.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't know how many straps the selmer case has, but I got a BAM hard case recently that has 2 shoulder straps and that makes carrying it a lot easier. I find it much easier to carry than my old and much lighter 'berkley of london' case. Actually, you might like one of those if you can still find one. There's no way I would ever use a soft case personally... just to much to worry about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advise everyone! From what i can see, the general consensus is that a bari in a gig bag is a bit of a liability to take at ones own risk! I've heard that the BAMs are pretty good but still pretty heavy and the wheels tend to disintegrate on you... Plus wheeling a bari around isn't ideal anyway unless you can make your way around town solely on nice smooth even surfaces!
One that I can sling on my back is really the ideal. Anyone used the reunion blues gig bag? At the risk of sounding incredibly vain, the leather ones look pretty bad ***!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I met Glen years ago at a couple of rehearsals when he was just starting to get big with his gig bags. Nearly everyone I know in the SF bay area uses the Reunion Blues Bari gig bags. The Walt Johnson hard shell case is a great protector, along with all the weight that implies.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Thanks for all the advise everyone! From what i can see, the general consensus is that a bari in a gig bag is a bit of a liability to take at ones own risk! I've heard that the BAMs are pretty good but still pretty heavy and the wheels tend to disintegrate on you... Plus wheeling a bari around isn't ideal anyway unless you can make your way around town solely on nice smooth even surfaces!
One that I can sling on my back is really the ideal. Anyone used the reunion blues gig bag? At the risk of sounding incredibly vain, the leather ones look pretty bad ***!
Given any thought to a Protec with the backback strap. It's pretty light and the optional backpack strap makes it very easy to sling it on your back and walk away. While I wouldn't trust the Protec to airline baggage handlers, it's a whole lot studier than a gig bag and lighter than the BAM or Walt Johnson alternatives. It's what I use on my baris and I don't feel like I can't trust someone else to carry them (except for airline baggage handlers).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
I haul my Yanagisawa B991 around town in a J. Winter fiberglass case. About the same weight as a gig bag, but lots more protection and I have added some memory foam to give the horn extra support. However, I like to play Bb bari (Couf Superba) for standing bar gigs and R&B, and I have not ever found a satisfactory case for it. I use an SKB case with lots of added foam. It's pretty light and easy to wheel around, but very bulky, and a hassle to, for example, ride the train to the city.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts