Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need advise on a Orpheo Alto Goodson Model with the two necks looking at one really nice looking sax are they a good brand? I don't see the goodson model for sale much what do they sell for? Do they hold their value? I think I read they are made in Asia factorires. Debating if I should buy it if I want to play it before buying its a two hour drive so I'll probably just have it ship. Should I buy or stay away from it.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
You should always try to play the horn before buying. Two hours isn't far.

Your question of "should I buy it" depends on a ton of different factors. Why do you want to buy it? What do you play now? What do you think will improve by buying this horn? How much does the horn cost? What is its current playing condition? What other horns have you looked at? What's your overall budget? What players do you listen to? What style(s) of music do you play? What kind of mouthpiece do you play on?

There were several iterations of the "Goodson" horns through a few Asian companies. My limited experience with them is that they are decent horns, but depending on price, there could be far better horns that might be worthy of consideration. I personally wouldn't pay more than $700-$800 or so given that it probably needs some work done.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sax is like new at least that's what I been told and it's going for 1350 I don't know if that's good or bad that's why I was asking the retail price when they were new. I'm just looking for something different tone wise that's all.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
If it is truly like new and in absolute perfect cosmetic and playing condition, that's not a terrible price.

Might work for you, give it a play-test and see what you think! Best of luck!

- Saxaholic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
1300 bucks can buy what I consider a lot better horn. Additionally, if taken care of you will get what you put in it.

When you try to pass it along Im betting younwill struggle to sell it for half of that sum.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I've never played an Orpheo, but bet that your Zephyr outplays it by far, and will retain its value longer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just like to have variety even my clarinet I like different tones so I have an R13, a big easy and a selmer center tone and yeah the more I play the zephyr the more I see what a killer horn it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts