Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. i am an ex professional musician and am considering the purchase of a cheap sopranino to play with my son, who is learning the alto. i played mostly soprano back when and have owned a mark v1, sa series 1, yamaha 62, buffet s1. could anyone with experience or an opinion give me input regarding the pros and cons of the yani copies over the selmer copies, fingering wise/comfort/tuning or anything helpful. i have enjoyed reading this site and looking forward to any inform i might glean. thanks for your time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. sorry not to be more specific. from what i've seen/read most of the taiwanese/chinese copies appear to fall into two general categories. firstly there are the instruments keyed to high E which appear to be copied along similar lines to the yani sopraninos and the instruments keyed to high F# which look to be along similar lines to a selmer series 2. quality differences aside, is there any advantage to the differing fingerings/keywork/egonomics on one style of instrument to the other in a general sense? did anyone find advantage in one type of keywork to another, vis a vis, the general model keyed to high E over that of the model keyed to high F#? thanks again.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for your replies. i still have a mark vi alto which i play occasionally and i picked up a vito - yanagisawa stencil soprano which was a bargain (99% lacquer, plays well in tune for a $500 aus. i did send for one of the ebay sopraninos some time ago, the model based on a selmer series 2 i think, played it for 1/2 hour and sent it straight back. even with a my soloist mouthpiece (c*) the tuning was terrible. quite possibly i'll sit it out until a yanagisawa sopranino turns up for a reasonable price - or at least a price i can afford. thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts