Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

I currently play on a Warburton "Florida Link" modded STM NY. It's a .105 tip. It's a very good piece, not bright and not dark while still having a little bit of a husky sound on some notes and otherwise it's very even up and down the range of the horn. Subtones well and low notes speak very easily. Altissimo response is very hit or miss, but that could very well be me (I'm still working on voicing).

The piece is a very good piece, but since I'm here asking for advice I must feel it's missing "something" for me. I guess I'd like something a little darker and huskier than what this piece gives me. If it helps, in my dreams I'm trying to sound like Dexter. I love a big, husky sounding mouthpiece. Where those D2, E2, F#2 notes are big and resonant/round sounding.

I've been looking at the following pieces. I have $250 or so.

1. A Sakshama Custom Z - there is a used one available to me which is a 6*, being told it's "around a .100". The slightly smaller tip worries me, but should it? Also have heard from a few different people some wildly varying opinions from "it's bright" to "it's very dark, too dark for me".

2. A Sakshama Shorty- Sakshama has some "imperfect" castings on hand which are basically just blemishes which don't affect playability. He can face it to whatever tip I'd like.

3. A Norberto "Lost Wax" Hollywood/Stubby in .108- being told it's "dark and lush" sounding. Should I be worried about the .003 larger tip?

Which of these do you think will help me get where I'm trying to go? What else should I look at? Metal only, because for whatever reason I can't stand hard rubber profiles and the material itself in my mouth.

I really want to not have to buy something and just turn around and try to sell it, so your input is greatly appreciated.

PS- if it matters, my main horn is a Mauriat 66R and I usually use ZZ 2.5 or RJS 2H reeds.

·
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me also add, yes I know that the way I blow etc affects the way the mouthpiece responds. However, the piece I have now was a piece I had modded. Before it was modded, it was an 8* (way too big for me) and it was tubby/very slow to respond... but boy was it husky sounding.

After the mod it was brighter, louder, very easy to play, not tubby at all... and it lost a good degree of that husky sound (the only thing about the piece I liked before I had it modded).

·
5,444 Posts
Have you tried going up a half size in reed strength? Try Rico Orange box or Jazz Select up a half strength. I normally use 2.5 Rico Royales or Jazz Selects on my Otto Link STM and/or NY (modern versions, not a Florida) Using a half strength harder, even the same model Ricos brings out a bit more huskiness in either mouthpiece. Start with a 3 strength and adjust to suit if necessary. Cheaper than going after a new mouthpiece.

Since you've use ZZs, I might also recommend Vandoren Blue Box, but I just don't get along with them nearly as well as the Ricos so I hesitate to suggest them.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I recommend staying on the Warburton link. I've found that a certain setup may give me a better sounding D2 etc. but it was never consistent.

Recently in found out how to get these notes to speak better. For me it's seems to be a certain air angle / lip pressure combo, which makes them speak better. The trick is however to implement this into my normal playing routine. Here I'll probably just need my ears to be the guide and develop an "instinct" reaction, as it were. BTW as soon as a found out about this "problem" it really started to bog me and I could hear it all the time. :)

I'm playing a refaced Tone Edge, that is really dark, but it lacks the projection other mpcs have and altissimo is really a pain in the a**, compared to other pieces. On the other hand Rascher played a really dark mpc, too it is actually all about the shedding....

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
.103 to .108 isn't a big change, agree with the other comments I'd try different reed cominations first. Sometimes a plasticover reed results in a huskier sound than you might otherwise get. Or just a little harder reed.

shawn

·
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
- Have tried going up to ZZ 3 and RJS 3S. Had to file/scrape them a ton to get low notes to speak easily, so it seems as though I probably ended up making them 2.5 and 2H anyway.

- Agree about voicing to get the huskier sound. Will work on that.

- I DO want another piece though because I only have the Warburton and would like something as a backup... Also have a Guardala Laser Trimmed Crescent available to me... this is their "darkest" model? How are they?

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you want a backup I wouldn't go for a Crescent as they're much brighter than a Link, especially a modern one. If I wanted a backup for a metal link I'd go for a Sakshama Florida in the same tip opening. As they have a little higher floor than the modern links Altissimo should pop out a little better. YMMV though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts