Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am a (small)14 year old, and I would like some advice.
I have been playing the alto for nearly 4 years and I am doing my grade 7 (I have got a YAS 275). But the school swing band needs a new tenor saxophone player because the tenor saxophonist has left, (i was playing 1st alto) but now I will be playing 1st tenor. Here is my dilema, because I will have to get a tenor there might be no point in geting a student model(because im doing grade 7 alto) so i have been loooking at pro's (like the yamaha 62 or yanigisawa t-991 and t-901).
But soon I will need to upgrade my alto. So I was wondering wether I should get a professional tenor.... or Student tenor but get a better alto?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
First, welcome to SOTW!

As a general rule, it's usually best to put your money into your main instrument. A student model Yamaha tenor with a good jazz mouthpiece should do fine. Also, unless you are in the US where there's a wash of vintage US saxes, you might want to consider a good non-Japanese Asian import for your tenor. It's reported that Bauhaus Walstein makes a great inexpensive tenor. There's other good less expensive choices from Taiwan.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks enviroguy for you help!:)
what does everybody else think? i would really appreciate as much advice a possible!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
.......on the other hand the best value for money has to be a second hand reliable sax and I think that if you find a Yamaha 23 for cheap and playing well ......... you couldn't go wrong with it!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Take also into account that if you buy a Yamaha or Selmer you'll be able to re-sell it with a good cash back and this is interesting in case you think you can desire a better one for the future.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
If the school want you to play Tenor, but dont have one to lend you, then personally I would tell them you would rather stick with Alto... why should you have to foot the bill to please them?

On the other hand, if you want to play tenor, then a used student Yamaha is more than enough to get you going, and you will likely be able to sell it on for what you paid when it comes time to move on, or else you can keep it for marching band duty and the like.

I personally started out on Tenor witha used Antigua WInds tenor for a few hundred bucks to get me started and figure out if I liked it, and that was also a good option. I still have that for playing in the cold Santa Parades up here, but my main horns are pro level German made B&S alto and tenor, which for the $1k to 1.5k range used are very hard to top.

Where you are will dictate how hard it will be to find a decent student horn on the cheap.

·
Registered
310 Posts
thanks enviroguy for you help!:)
what does everybody else think? i would really appreciate as much advice a possible!
What you are saying is that you feel as you though can't afford to buy a professional tenor and upgrade your alto. You could be mistaken. It's possible players on here could suggest a way whereby you could acquire both a good quality tenor and an upgraded alto. I think that before anyone can properly advise you they need some idea of your budget. Also, does the budget include
what you might get if, and when, you sold your present alto. What could you say is, "I've got $$$$ to spend........how can I get a professional quality tenor, and alto, for that amount of cash ? Good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks alley cat!:) I am looking to spent £1000 ($1600ish) on a student tenor (or if i am looking at a pro model £2000 ($3200) but i will need my alto upgrading to take my grade 8 (i am working towards my grade 7 at the moment) my bugdet is about £3500 ($5600 for an alto excluding my old alto as i dont know what it is worth yet), (i am possibly looking at selmer)what do you think?????

·
Registered
310 Posts
There are many players on here better qualified than me to advise you regarding modern saxophones, and I'm sure they will, but the size of your budget suggests to me that you could, if you wished, buy a used professional quality tenor and alto and still have enough cash left over to go on a luxury cruise around the world. Are you in the UK ? If you are, and haven't already done so, you could go on the excellent cafesaxophone forum and ask the same question there.

http://cafesaxophone.com/forumdisplay.php?16-Saxophones-amp-Accessories

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Massive budget! Wow! I could only dream of a budget like that! You started talking about sax grade levels I assumes you were a Brit! Must have some very nice parents with loose wallets! I played semi-pro with a 1970s student model Buescher Aristocrat (Bundy) and a Bundy Alto, along with a Taiwan built EM Winston soprano for years, before finally owning the fine vintage saxes i have now.

With the "budget" you have, there almost nothing that you can't buy!

Why is the Alto needing an upgrade to take your next test? Doesn't make sense. Wanting to upgrade sure. Everyone likes an upgrade, but unless your current Alto is falling apart, or is otherwise unreliable, and upgrade isn't a need, it is a want.

I would suggest a Yani or Yamaha for your first Tenor with a budget like that. I am partial to Keilwerth built Tenors, so that is the direction I would go (SX90, or an vintage Couf Superba I).

·
3,310 Posts
thanks alley cat!:) I am looking to spent £1000 ($1600ish) on a student tenor (or if i am looking at a pro model £2000 ($3200) but i will need my alto upgrading to take my grade 8 (i am working towards my grade 7 at the moment) my bugdet is about £3500 ($5600 for an alto excluding my old alto as i dont know what it is worth yet), (i am possibly looking at selmer)what do you think?????
Well, thats easy, you can pick up a couple of B&S medussas for that kind of money! Two pro horns with change to spare for checkup and a decent mouthpiece on each.

Of course, you could shop around for Selmers or Yamahas or whatever too, each to their own. Just dont buy new, let someone else take that depreciation hit. or buy something cheaper and save the money for some further education...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Saxophoniac,

You have a total budget of approx £4500?

Keep an eye on eBay, if only to get an idea of prices.

Used Selmer Reference horns in good condition are currently selling for in the region of £2000 on eBay. We are in a recession, and it's a buyers market.

Factor in a few hundred pounds (in total for both horns) to have any minor problems put right and you're more or less on budget......

·
Registered
73 Posts
eventhough you seem to have big budget I would keep some in reserve. ( new mpc ect.)
Considering your choices. As you can see in my tagline I have the Yts 62 ( bought it as a spare horn ). It´s a brilliant horn, but much has happened on the market since I bought it. I was choosing between a Yani-992 (absolutely loved it!) ref 54(to ...... hmmm don´t how to describe it, but not for me) and finally the yts. In the end my wallet decided on the yts. Had it been today I think I would have gone with a second hand Mauriat or Barone. ( no disrespecting the yamaha)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I would buy a used horn first of all. Second I would recommend something that you're already used to and (presumably like). Find a nice 62, a very professional quality horn in about the $1400 range, and use the reserve toward a nicer alto.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all you help! What I was thinking about doing was to get a new student tenor (yts 275?) and get a good jazz mouthpiece and soon upgrade my alto:) does anybody agree/disagree? all opinions are welcome!;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Don't buy a new student horn. You can buy a great playing professional instrument in good repair for the same money. A good Jazz mpc will probably come with a used YTS 62.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
+1 on buying a used Yamaha 62. You could also get a used Cannonball stone series or global series in great shape for less than that, that IMO might sound a little richer. Bottom line- buy USED.

·
3,310 Posts
+1 with the others, Do not buy a new student horn.

·
Registered
73 Posts
+1
second hand pro tenor
Upgrade alto

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have decided that I will g for a new student model and get a good jazz mpc. The model that I was thinking about would be the Yts 275:) does anybody know about the intermediate yts 475???

1 - 20 of 28 Posts