Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the breakdown

C Mel conn straight neck microtuner rolled holes
I put Roos and airtights on back in 07
excellent shape I bought for $300 put $500 in pads and rebuild
Original case broken latch and key lock

Bundy II Tenor from the 80s missing a key guard for trill key
and some cork. Really a good player but missing alot of the lacquer
and a loose neck tenon(didn't want to spend $100 plus for tool to fix)
All pads are good except for neck pad I might have one for it.

C Soprano Bruno NY stencil I think by Conn
The majority of the horn has drawn holes few of the big ones are soldered
No holes though. Just put new puffy pads on it.
Couldn't tell you about the intonation I don't have the chops to play it
Needs a spring on the G Sharp slight indention from putting it in the case
for 90 years. No front F has original mouthpiece I guess
One tone hole is not level hence the puffy pad

I started playing an alto and it seems to be the sound I like the most
with limited funds now I'm just gonna focus on a good NEW alto
with good intonation

Got a couple of c mel goldbecks and 1 tenon goldbeck
if anyone is interested

Just didn't know if I should put them on here first or ebay

any advice on price or if anyone is interested let me know

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,994 Posts
Well...minus the Goldbecks, which I have no idea of value (they are vintage, yes ?...and some vintage dealers have had some in stock now and then - this I gather from a quick search, so they probably have some half-decent value)....you will probably only get about $1300 for your three horns, given today's market values. (BTW...a tech could refit the tenon to the Bundy for about $20, typically).

So, really what you are asking is: Can I get a GOOD, brand-NEW Alto for $1300-1500 ?

(I am wondering why, since you have owned vintage ones...you would not consider a vintage one for that price ? Only because you can get a top-shelf professional model in amazing shape for that dolla' - matter o' fact, you'd likely have $ left over).

But, let's stick with your initial scenario, because it's certainly a fair question.

$1300-1500......
Well...that's the cost of a YAS-23, brand new. They have a solid rep as THE default contemporary Alto to get. They are built pretty well (not as good as they used to be), their quality is consistent, and their intonation is good.

If that sounds like what you want...it would be hard for you to go wrong with it. Note, IMHO, I have left out certain qualities of it which I find lacking...but, again, I do not want to digress the thread. It is generally a quality, go-to model for beginner/intermediate players.

There are others as well...the Barone ones, for example....but I will let those who have more experience with a wider breadth of contemporary horns chime in....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I figured I had just didn't know if I could sell em here to save the ebay fees
But yea it just seems like the vintage ones there's always something that you gotta fix it
when you get it. I was just trying to avoid having to do repairs
I just don't have anyone near for repairs and can't stand sending em off
Does the YAS-23 have the High F key

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,925 Posts
No, the Yamaha 23 does not have the High F# key.

I would also recommend looking at some of the less mainstream new horns that are gaining popularity, the P. Mauriats and Phil Barones just to name some. There is a few more as well all starting to really gain some reputation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
Man, don't sell all your stuff. Sell the C soprano because as you say you can't play it anyways. Try to get $500 for it, and take that $500 and find a USED YAS-23. Parents all over the place sell the YAS-23s their kids used for only one or two years on Craigslist all the freaking time for between $300-700. What's a year or two of use, seriously?

I bought a YTS-23 needing minor repairs for $150 a few months back. It's borderline insanity to buy a 23 new, unless you really do not have any techs at all within a 2 hour or so drive. Heck, even then, most new horns need a setup done to them anyways to be really right.

IMO, whatever you do, you're best off keeping the CMel, as you've already spent more than it's worth. Why mess yourself over further by not having it at all? You should also keep the tenor, unless tenor is just totally not ever going to be at all even an afterthought in the back of your mind. Bundy IIs go for so cheap that it's probably not really worth selling unless you're just that broke or just want it out of the house. Speaking of, here's a vote for the Bundy II as another idea for a used alto. I've never really felt the Yamaha 23 was any better or worse horn than the Bundy II, and you could easily save some green going that route.

My only concern here is the "puffy pads" statement on the C soprano. What exactly is a "puffy pad" other than one that's absorbed lots of moisture and mold being stored improperly? If they were installed on purpose, why not just fix the tonehole issue? I'm sure a tech can get that right for not too much added expense if you already paid for an overhaul...

That is the only holdup I see to ditching the soprano and getting a useable used alto. If the soprano won't play, it won't sell for much.

EDIT, I missed the "no techs local" statement. It is a pain to send stuff out even when the tech is local, so I understand where youre coming from. However, it shouldn't be too hard to get a used student alto that plays right now, not needing a tech at all.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No the C Sop is very usable I just don't have time to learn how to make it sing.
The puffy pads are like the old ones that were on it looked to be the original ones
I took everything off polished and repadded.
It had 90 plus years worth of crud on it

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I think you're right Blue the Bundy's aren't worth much
I'll hang on to them
Still might sell the Cmel and Soprano

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,487 Posts
Respectfully, I see no more than about $800 bucks of ebay value in the horns, most of which is in the stenciled C-sop. This is provided you have some experience selling on ebay and have good feedback. Keep in mind that fees will hack into this.

IIRC, C-instruments aren't in high demand on this forum, so i don't see you getting much more for them here. your descriptions say to me that the Bruno and the Bundy are project horns, and you are quite a bit underwater in the C-mel.

Also consider: value is very elastic. It depends on who's selling, who's buying, when and where. It also depends on how much patience you have. As a non-retailer, the most you'll return you'll ever get out of an instrument is a local personal sale, however it could take months or years to expidite those C instruments in this fashion.

Quick cash would be to take it all down to a pawn shop wher'e they'll likely give you a couple hundred for the whole lot, but it would be cash on the spot.

I would float some ads here or on craigslist for the prices you want and see what happens. this is the lowest risk proposition.

Buying new is always a bad proposition from a value perspective. YAS-23s are what? $1600 bucks brand new (+tax and shipping).?

Consider that second hand price is about a third of that.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

·
18,994 Posts
Man, don't sell all your stuff. Sell the C soprano because as you say you can't play it anyways. Try to get $500 for it, and take that $500 and find a USED YAS-23.....
This isn't a bad idea, really. That's pretty smart thinking... Again, almost everyone here seems to be saying go used in this instance, which is what I suggested in my first reply.

You will get $500 for the C Soprano if you eFlay it...and $500 can get you a very good used Alto....actually, something better than a YAS23, which would run about $375-500 in ready-to-play shape. (If you are heading for a 23, used...just get yourself the Vito stencil version of the same horn, because that would cost you only $225-300 and it's...the exact same horn. Take that $200 left over, and send the Tenor to a tech to get it worked up a bit more. So, for the price of giving up the C-Soprano you will have two very solid, respectable, playable horns).

As has been suggested, you can get as good a used horn for $500 as you can a new one for $1500...the used one won't be as pretty nor will it have any sort of warranty, of course. $500 Alto budget opens up a world of used possibilities, really.

I was figuring $250 for the Tenor, $550 for the Soprano, and $400-450 for the C-Mel on eFlay. Indeed, C'list will get you less...more in the range of what JW was getting at....$150/$400/$300, something like that.

Again, I still think your initial idea isn't bad, either. It WOULD get you a new horn ...something respectable...in an Alto, if that's really your bag.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,874 Posts

·
18,994 Posts
That's a very good deal considering the overhaul....actually, it's a bit shocking you haven't gotten your asking price...

...does the shameless plug fit the neck receiver OK ?

OK, sorry, didn't mean to digress....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts