Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have little fundamental on alto sax and totally new to sop. Recently I come across a problem regarding squeak sound in low register on my sop(AW 586lq). MP is yamaha 4C.

I have 3 kinds of reeds, 1)RICO 2.0; 2)RICO 2.5; 3)Vandoren 2.5

1)rico 2.0: very easy to blow. But easily get squeaking sound(one octave higher) below G in lower register at the very beginning of note. Squeaking sound can be gone in long notes. I simply checked pad using a LED flashlight and did not find obvious leak for those big pads (near bell), and the G# pad is very close and sticky.

2)rico 2.5, relatively harder to blow than 2.0 but less likely to get squeaking sound.

3)Vandoren 2.5, very hard to blow, can hardly play notes.

All in all i like the rico 2.0 due to easy blowing but the squeaking sound really bother me. Should I practice with rico 2.5 which largely reduce the chance of unstable low register response?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,419 Posts
First of all, the 4C isn't a bad mpc to start on. Not too many folks stay with a 4C, but you wouldn't be a sax fiend if you didn't embark on that quest for the "ultimate" mpc that will take a lifetime. But I would stick with the 4C for right now.

Regarding the reeds: Just practice a while. Make SURE you are using a sax embouchure and not a clarinet embouchure - specifically, don't hold a straight soprano like it was a clarinet. It ain't no clarinet, and it will complain bitterly if you try to play it like one. So once you are practicing and practicing correctly, you could probably find yourself comfortable with any of those reeds . . . but I suspect you will ultimately find one of the 2.5's a good fit for your 4C. But hey, if the 2.0's work great for you, it's results that count, not reed numbers. Have fun!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today I found myself improving somewhat on low register after practice on rico 2, but sometimes still cannot handle good. I wonder how long it wil for a sop beignner to totally get rid of squeaking sound.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts