Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm a high school student that has played alto for four years and tenor for two, and I'm now looking into buying a soprano sax.

I've got it narrowed down to either the Kessler Custom KCS2, or the Antigua SS3286BQ. From what I've read they are both excellent for beginners to the soprano.

Here's the problem: I've never played soprano before, and I don't know anyone who does. Worse, to buy a soprano, I'll have to sell my Selmer Aristocrat AS600, so if I buy one there's no going back.

I plan on ordering from Dave Kessler, BTW.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
If you don't have another horn to play, I wouldn't do it. You might not like the soprano.

If you do have another alto or tenor, then I would sell the AS600 and buy the Antigua.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you don't have another horn to play, I wouldn't do it. You might not like the soprano.
I agree. Try a soprano first. Compared to an alto, it is a completely different beast. My advice to soprano beginners is to start practicing in an empty house, because it is going to sound awful. I gave that advice to another soprano beginner and he took it - but had forgotten that his dog was at home. The dog immediately started to scratch at the door - "let me out!"

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,667 Posts
yes as the other folks said, try it first, and there is a good chance that you will find it difficult and different form your alto. I had been thinking for a long time that the a soprano was not for me and everybody told me that , also I attempted to manage learning soprano, alto, tenor and the occasional baritone (that is a struggle).
Soprano is a special beast and it will challenge your intonation and require a different embouchure that other horns (which all require a different embouchure). But practice, don't get disappointed (you will) and persevere and you'll get there. Also try the curved soprano together with a straight one . I prefer the curved one and have been very happy with my Bauhaus Walstein.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
..and if you can't help yourself and end up with only a soprano make sure you get a forgiving mp (eg Yamaha 4c). IMHO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Are you planning to buy from Dave Kessler because you live in Las Vegas? if So, check out Saxophone.com...They are amazing for the craftsmanship and tonality of any and all of their saxes. They are alos out of Las Vegas. Trust me, I own the professional soprano sax that they sold to me about 6 years ago. When i bought the sax (and tried all of them out) They were still doing business out of their home, but now it is well grown. You can get a soprano for under 1,000 through them which is pretty comparable since they play so well. I love the way it responds and it always sounds great! Like all sopranos though, you will have a hard time getting used to the correct pitch changes with your emberchure for such a small instrument. Every note is different when it comes to pitch. It can be hard to adjust to the harsh tonality of a soprano, but they can sound beautiful once it is played correctly. But seriously check out Saxophone.com. They are truly amazing in quality and price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
Most of the above are good recommendations. I personally recommend Kessler. One thing you can ask someone at Kessler's, for example, is which beginner's soprano has keywork similar to your present alto. If you must sell that alto, I would not make the change at this time.

From high school you will go into college studying music or some other subject. (I studied engineering and used the horns to make food money.) The alto and the tenor can be used in a wide variety of bands, for further music study or for making money. The soprano is a specialty solo instrument that can be useful only when you get good at it. Nobody wants to hear an out-of-tune sop solo. It has to be picked up on the side without disturbing your other music interests.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I suggest you just stay with the alto. You may be able get away with playing a cheapie alto, but all the saxophone quirks get magnified on a cheapie soprano.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You could look for a used soprano in the ~$100 range. Helmke or "The Woodwind" are decent, and there's plenty of decent asian sopranos in the $200-$350 range.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist, Forum Con
3,801 Posts
I constantly get gigs for alto, tenor, and bari. I've never gotten a gig for soprano. I have one because: I can afford one and I enjoy playing it. If you are a gigging musician, hang on to your alto and tenor sax.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I constantly get gigs for alto, tenor, and bari. I've never gotten a gig for soprano. I have one because: I can afford one and I enjoy playing it.

If you are a gigging musician, hang on to your alto and tenor sax.
Yes. This is sagelike advice.

I sold my Soprano because I never got gigs on it, either. I now have Alto, Tenor, & Bari.

I will keep it that way until I can afford a Soprano for my own musical enjoyment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my original post. I currently play tenor for my high school band, but played alto 5th-9th grade. I hardly ever play the alto, so it wouldn't really be a loss to sell it. But after thinking, I realized that instead I could buy a new tenor if I sold my alto. Right now I'm playing the school one and it's TERRIBLE.

So I guess the real question is, is it worth it to buy a soprano, or should I get a new tenor?

Also, would a music shop care if I just came in and asked to play a soprano without intent to buy? Because that's the only way I'm going to get to play one without buying it. I can't find anywhere that will rent one out.

BTW, I live in Minnesota. I was going to order from Kessler for his low prices.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Upgrade the tenor!!!! Dave Kessler also sells and services those too. Unless you have some kind of agenda for soprano over the long run, a good tenor is the only way to go. Of you quit, they are also much easier to sell later on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Totally go for a new tenor...The only thing you should worry about is the Tenor since you dont play Alto anymore in school. Especially since you own your Alto and not a tenor. No use in keeping the alto if you are going to just play tenor for now. Then later down the road if you get networks going and gigs out there in Minnesota then you can earn up money to get an alto.
Also, what model would you be looking at getting from Kessler. I still really recommend checking out Saxophone.com. They are just as comparable as Kessler and are about the same price range.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,484 Posts
Gotta go for the tenor! Tenor is the only way to go. There is only one!

Get the sop later and add it to the repertoire for fun!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, thanks everyone. I might have made a huge mistake if it weren't for this thread. I'm definitely going to buy a new tenor after selling my alto. I'll have to save some more money, but it'll be worth it. I'll probably still go with Kessler's line of saxophone. I'll still buy a soprano later on though.

Once again, thank you all!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I had been thinking along the same lines as OP, i.e. I like my tenor, but perhaps I should get a soprano also. The answers to this thread have clarified matters for me, and I certainly won't rush into a soprano.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Zayrach, I had the same problem mostly played alto and just sold my tenor. Wanted to try soprano and after reading the posts on the site I gave Dave Kessler a call. He asked what horns I played. I have a Conn 24M now. His advice was to buy his KCS2 based on the type of horn I was playing and the Selmer like set up. The Antiqua is more like the Yani. When you are ready give him a call. He helped me and I don't thing he did it to selle a horn.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts