Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm going to be putting my horn on the market soon, and I have no experience selling. Before putting my sax up for sale, I'd like to make sure I do all the right things and go about this the smart way. Can anybody give me good advice on doing so? I'm a poor college student, and I'm sure I want it to be local pickup only. I know I won't have a problem selling it, but I'm not exactly sure how to do this and I want to make sure I don't get taken advantage of! Should I make a contract? Should there be a specific way of payment? What is a reasonable standard for payment? I know my horn isn't cheap, but I wonder if it would be hard to sell as a cash/check payment only. Like I said, I have no experience in selling.

Also, people tell me I should use ebay, but I'm completely unfamiliar with it and I don't want to ship. Somebody also told me I should post on craigslist. I'll also be putting up posters in the music building at school.

So, advice? What to avoid, how to make sure this is done safely?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carbs said:
If you are in Denton, I would suggest putting it for sale in Denton Music Store on Consignment. He'll take a percentage. PM me if you want the directions to the store.
Their are some idea's on what to do if you want to sell here.
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=65238
Craigslist is a good option. I would say cash. Cash doesn't bounce checks do.

~Carbs

Man, you're quick =)

thanks, I'll try looking into that. Might be hard though, considering I don't have a car. I've actually been meaning to check the place out, but alas I can't google map it =(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,046 Posts
I would suggest letting the person try the horn in a practice room on campus if that is available. Then you won't be compromised with having a stranger in your home.

Reasonable payment? Once the person commits to the horn you have a couple of options: cash (although $5k is a little awkward), personal check (if you know them or can get enough good ID on them), or - perhaps best in this case - ask them to get a USPS money order or draw a cashier's check on a local bank. I'd recommend the latter.

A bill of sale is more to protect the buyer than you but it's nice to offer.

·
34,046 Posts
Consignment is often in the range of 15-30%. Are you willing to throw away that much money? That's where you'd need a contract - so you know exactly what you are getting (or giving, in this case).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dr G said:
I would suggest letting the person try the horn in a practice room on campus if that is available. Then you won't be compromised with having a stranger in your home.

Reasonable payment? Once the person commits to the horn you have a couple of options: cash (although $5k is a little awkward), personal check (if you know them or can get enough good ID on them), or - perhaps best in this case - ask them to get a USPS money order or draw a cashier's check on a local bank. I'd recommend the latter.

A bill of sale is more to protect the buyer than you but it's nice to offer.
Yeah, thanks for the advice! I definitely will give the buyer an option of trying out the horn, I think that's really important, and considering I live on campus and am about 300 footsteps away from the practice rooms building, hah I think local pickup will make it easy for them to try the horn. THANKS for the advice on the cashier's check... that's a great idea! I also thought it would be awkward to get that much in cash... jeez, it would feel more like a drug transaction that way.

Anyway, thank you very much! Good advice.

·
34,046 Posts
Best o' luck with the sale. I recall that yours is a great horn and should draw a good price.

·
Registered
552 Posts
blondemusicgurl said:
Yeah, thanks for the advice! I definitely will give the buyer an option of trying out the horn, I think that's really important, and considering I live on campus and am about 300 footsteps away from the practice rooms building, hah I think local pickup will make it easy for them to try the horn. THANKS for the advice on the cashier's check... that's a great idea! I also thought it would be awkward to get that much in cash... jeez, it would feel more like a drug transaction that way.

Anyway, thank you very much! Good advice.
If for some reason you can't sell it locally --- let me know .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts