Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, first time posting.

I'm looking to shift my Buescher Truetone Tenor, as I no longer play it. It's very old (approx. 100 years) but is in playing condition. It is a bit scruffy though. I'll be selling it in a hard case, with a selmer mouthpiece (will amend this post with the model and pictures of the horn when I get home).

My main questions are:

Is it worth getting the horn overhauled before selling?

And

Where is the best place to sell a saxophone these days?

Thanks!

Edit: Thanks for the responses, I've added some photos.

In response to the comments:

It costs £1000+ to overhaul?? Are you sure?

It's definitely a Bb, I've tried to show the "Low Pitch" symbol in the photos.

The mouthpiece (in case the photo is unclear) is a Selmer S80 E, which I've seen going new for about £130.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
My main questions are:

Is it worth getting the horn overhauled before selling?
No. The cost of an overhaul is nearly equal to the value of the horn. You won't reap the money you put into it.

Where is the best place to sell a saxophone these days?
Craigs list or some other local bulletin board, etc. The cost of shipping is a significant fraction of what this horn is worth.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
The main thing you'd want to do is prove to anyone that it's actually a Bb tenor not a C melody tenor. It has more value than the C tenor.

So many people nave fallen victim to buying what was advertised as a Truetone tenor, only to find it is the C version. :(

I'd sell the mouthpiece separately, if it's a decent vintage Selmer Soloist it could be worth more than the horn.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Yeah, make sure your ad photo shows the "Low Pitch" next to the serial number; and if you can take a photo of the tenor next to another modern tenor to show that it's not a C-mel, those two photos will solve that issue.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Ebay or Reverb. Most 100 year olds on Ebay and Reverb aren't playable, or have code words like "needs a tune up". To differentiate yours, have it tuned up, so you can claim its in good playing condition and just had a tune up. Try to spend less than $100. Even if you break even after paying for a tune up, it will sell faster than your competitors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts