Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two saxophones that I have not played in earnest since my first year in college (1992). As my interests have shifted, I have finally decided to sell them. I would appreciate some help in figuring out a reasonable value - I am not going to hunt for top dollar, but I am not going to let them go in a fire sale either.

The first is a Selmer Mark VI Tenor - serial 219,xxx - which I only learned recently was 1973, coincidentally making the sax and I the same vintage. It is in fine shape - I was concerned about wear/corrosion as it was definitely well used, but from the pictures I have seen recently of that vintage horn it is really about the same. It does have plenty of spots, significant wear on the inside of the bell where it rubs against your leg, and some scratches around where the neck strap attaches. It has a little extra corrosion around one lower valve and a very small dent near the ring for the neck strap. It is in the original, functional case, but it smells a bit like all of the funk leaked out of the horn into the padding of the case. The sewn leather around the case is also peeling. I don't know if those cases have any value, but I have it. I will post pictures as soon as possible - right now a friend's kid is checking it out and trying to determine if he has mowed enough lawns to pay for it! (He does know it is going to be a lot of lawns.)

The second is a Yanagisawa curved soprano - serial 151,xxx, which I believe makes it 1988. It has been tough to sort out, but I think that makes it an S880 (or is it SC880 because its curved). It is in near perfect condition in the original case. It has a couple spots of extremely minor corrosion, but they are only noticeable if you are trying to look for them to write up a description. No scratches or dings at all. There are not even any scratches around the ring for the neck strap.
View attachment 30008
View attachment 30009
View attachment 30010

Any help would be appreciated. As I said, I will try to post Mark VI pics when I get it back.

Regards, Michael in NH

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
I would look for $1800 - $2000 for the Sc880 and $3800 - $4000 on the late Mark VI as a personal sale.

my opinion only. these estimates reflect your willingness to sell a modest price as part of a personal sale.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. That was the ballpark I estimated for the Mark VI, but I am much less informed on the Yani.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts