Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,588 Posts
Post some nice pictures, start with a reasonable price and be prepared for low ball offers. It's a fickle market and really comes down to offering a horn at the same time that someone with cash to spare is looking for one.

You'll determine it's selling price (if not its value) when you and a buyer exchange funds and horn.

The Ref 54 alto is one of their better playing altos and the kook' engraving is nice.

From Kesslermusic.com:

"The Kookaburra Reference series is #2 of 5 the "Bird Tribute" Series. Released in 2006, the Kookaburra honors Australian saxophonists with the beautifully engraved Kookaburra birds.

The horn is a standard Reference 54 alto, arguably one of the best saxophones ever made and currently the top end model from Selmer Paris.

The "Kookaburra Standard" is set at a maximum production of only 330 for the entire USA. Once that number has been hit, this collector's edition horn will never be made again."

Selling price of the Kook' 54 alto was about $5k at the time, a new Ref 54 alto (without special engraving) is currently around $5200. You might start at $4k and see - if it sells fast, you started too low; if it doesn't move, the price is too high.

G'luck!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
I bought this sax a couple of years ago new and only played it a handful of times. It looks brand new. Since I am not playing and need the money I am thinking of selling it. I am really not sure what it is worth. advice appreciated.
thank you for any help,
Dave
Hey, you're using my avatar! That's not fair...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,588 Posts
Hmmm, where did yours come from???

At least you know that I'm a real blonde... [rolleyes]

·
5,880 Posts
Hmmm, where did yours come from???

At least you know that I'm a real blonde... [rolleyes]
That's actually how I look like after a 3-hour gig starting at midnight in a densely smokey club.

As to you, they say blondes have more fun, so you must be a happy ma.. uh ...wom... uh ... person.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had a tattoo of it on my arm for many years now, but I changed it to a different avatar to make you happy :) I also have this one on the other arm.

That was my avatar on the forum since I joined in 2009, but I don't post as much as you. I think I found it on art.com or something similar when I was looking for something for the tattoo.
-Dave

·
5,880 Posts
I've had a tattoo of it on my arm for many years now, but I changed it to a different avatar to make you happy :) I also have this one on the other arm.

That was my avatar on the forum since I joined in 2009, but I don't post as much as you. I think I found it on art.com or something similar when I was looking for something for the tattoo.
-Dave
Dave, thank you for being a cool guy! I also joined in Feb 2009 so it's hard to know who joined first. Anyway, I was also willing to change mine if necessary.
Now back to the topic of the thread. Dr G's recommendations in post #2 really make sense to me.
By the way, this is an excellent alto, among the very best that one can have. I know this personally because I have a Ref 54 myself.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am kind of on the fence about selling it. I really like the horn and I know there will be times that I wish I had it even if I only play a little these days. I had a mark Vl 1973 (I bought it new in 73) that I loved and sold to one of the members here and really missed it. At least he was a really good guy and loves the horn too.

Now I have a silver plated 82z tenor and the ref 54, both awesome horns but I've really come to like that tenor also. I guess I should put some more thought into this. I hate to have a sax sitting in the case for years barely being played though.

I appreciate the advice, just gotta make a decision now.
-Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts