Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to sell mine and wondered if I should sell it here or on Ebay, and also I have no idea of its value. OK some idea but not enough of one to know what to ask for. Perhaps I should just auction it, but I have had bad experiences in Ebay, and always excellent ones on this forum.
Is it within the forum rules to get help on pricing? Thanks for any advice -Dave

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
I’d try to sell it on here with an link to some other site to get some good photos.
This forum is a pain for uploading photos
The prices seem to be all over the place but I bought a mint later Mark VI soprano about 8 or 9 years ago for $2000. It was NOS at a music store going out of business. The odd thing is that I sold a silver plated 1967 Mark VI soprano a year or so before that for $3500 that didn’t play as well as the one I have now.
I think asking for pricing may not be a great idea because of the horn flippers lowballing you.
Look on eBay to get an idea and decide what price you’d be happy with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
In my part of the world these sopranos are often offered and rarely made more than €2500, the mark VI sprano is not as sought after as the rest of the line.

Selling here is very easy (or so I think).

My favorite way it to host the pictures somewhere else and then copy the link and past in the box that opens when you go in “ Go Advanced “ right hand sde , bottom of the communication box. You can also upload directly from your computer but pics will be somewhat smaller.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
My iPad doesn’t like the dragging photos into the comment box to post. I should get a keyboard for it. It would probably be a lot easier.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,443 Posts
I sold a 110xxx on ebay for a friend last year for $5400. Had most of its original lacquer, a slightly flattened bell from standing it up, a recent overhaul with perfect key work and new pads. Just a good-playing, very presentable VI from a good vintage. I think I started the auction at $3499. You are ultimately going to do what you're comfortable with, but unless you put it on ebay you are going to leave a lot of money on the table. However its understood that some people just don't 'get' ebay and have trouble. Actually they cause trouble because they don't know what they're doing. All you have to do is be honest, give the best description you can and put on too many good, clear pictures. Never try to 'sell' anything - merely present what it is.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
VI soprano values are interesting. I guess they didn't make many of them until the late 1960's, so the ones before that are exponentially higher than the rest. Also, if one has engraving it tends to be worth a good deal more than the same horn without.

·
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, i'm gong to put it up for sale here. It'll be shipped from Australia, whats the best way to ship internationally ? courier perhaps?
I have a Yani sop that is just easier to play, with very big hands I find the palm keys a bit of an issue on the VI.

·
38,878 Posts
Those palm keys do bother me (and that’s why I have always opted for a different design), some people here aren’t bothered at all by them. Originally Yanagisawa had the same palm keys on their S6 model.

Using a courier doesn’t guarantee any better delivery at the other end than the postal service would.

I have used the Dutch postal service throughout the years. In practice we no longer have the national company that we had before (witha large banking structure too and capillarity of offices), so it is now a large private company, as many of these companies they operate , state by state, with a number of local company so, in fact, depending from their local agreement, my parcel sen here from a Postal Agent may very well be delivered over there (wherever this there is) by a courier and sometimes, for the same country, with different operators.
If you don’t have(like most of us) a contract with DHL, UPS or Fed Ex (or something like that) they are likely to charge you way more than the postal service would with no better service (at least not where I am).

·
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Milandro, I do actually have a DHL business account for one of my businesses so might get a quote from them . They are excellent.

·
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more question, I have mouthpiece that I don't mind letting go with it, a Cafe Espresso 6 star. Is this a good idea? Cheers

·
38,878 Posts
Thanks Milandro, I do actually have a DHL business account for one of my businesses so might get a quote from them . They are excellent.
If you do, then it is maybe a good idea. About the quality of DHL as a delivery agent I have had good and bad experiences ( they had at least two different services , one was local (very good) the other one (sorry can’t remember the name of that particular one) went through Germany and had very difficult to track facilities.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,947 Posts
One more question, I have mouthpiece that I don't mind letting go with it, a Cafe Espresso 6 star. Is this a good idea? Cheers
I suggest selling it separately.

·
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you do, then it is maybe a good idea. About the quality of DHL as a delivery agent I have ad good and bad experiences ( they had at least two different services , one was local (very good) the other one (sorry can’t remember the name of that particular one) went through Germany and had very difficult to track facilities.
That may be more to do with Germany, than DHL ironically ( obviously they're German ). I regularly send packages around the world and haven't had a single problem. Aus to US , always less than 4 days door to door, amazing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,263 Posts
Selling in the SOTW marketplace is not what it used to be, IMHO. Ever since access to the marketplace was restricted to established SOTW members, when I'm selling something here, I feel there is much less action...and only real lowball prices make the sale (of course there are exceptions for very desirable saxes/mouthpieces.)

·
38,878 Posts
A black lacquer Mark VI is not something that one finds everyday while at least every few months there is someone in the NL selling a Mark VI (more often than not in silverplate)

The marketplace rules have been in place for 6 years I can’t remember that 6 years ago there were more sales on SOTW (at least I didn’t sell more than I do now) but what I do think is that on the whole the entire marketplace in the whole world has gotten very much calmer (everywhere), it is not the marketplace rules that made this happen

That may be more to do with Germany, than DHL ironically ( obviously they're German ). I regularly send packages around the world and haven't had a single problem. Aus to US , always less than 4 days door to door, amazing.
It was a particular DHL service that delivered something I’d bought on ebay

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I don't remember ever having to sign in to see market place ads, which I do now. I thought that was a new rule, but maybe I'm doing something wrong?
I thought you could see the headings but if you tried to enter the Marketplace area you'd get an error message telling you to log in. My issue lately is that if I don't have the "Remember Me" box checked below the login fields when I do log in the system bounces me out after about 3-4 minutes.

Selling in the SOTW marketplace is not what it used to be, IMHO. Ever since access to the marketplace was restricted to established SOTW members, when I'm selling something here, I feel there is much less action...and only real lowball prices make the sale (of course there are exceptions for very desirable saxes/mouthpieces.)
I think what we're seeing is that there is just a lot more lightly used gear available these days as well as more platforms like Craigslist, Reverb, etc to offer it on. I believe buyers are being far more selective in what they are willing to go for knowing that good deals come along more frequently. Unless I'm 95+% sure it's something I really want, I'm not going to pay a price any higher than what I'm sure I won't have to take a loss on if I decide to sell. I'm not looking to flip stuff to make money but I'm not going to take a $75 hit on a mouthpiece just to try it either.

·
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So is it the first person to PM, or to answer the thread ? Or are there no rules on this?

·
38,878 Posts
You, Dave, have enough privileges to advertise in the marketplace.

People with more than 6 months and 50 posts can see your ad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts