Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for new pieces to play with piano accompaniment, possibly something classical but I’m open to suggestions. The catch is I want something where the saxophone part is a challenge for an advanced player but where the piano part is a little more manageable. As a non pianist I have no idea what to look for. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
This topic has nothing to do with buying or selling a saxophone, so the thread really should be moved to the Classical Saxophone subforum, or maybe the Sheet Music & Transcriptions subforum. You'll probably get more attention if it's placed properly.

As for the question, I am not an amateur pianist (although my wife is, and she has played a few pieces with me), but my impression from looking at the pieces that I own, and from listening to far more, is that what you're asking for will be tough to find. In this kind of music, the piano accompaniment normally seems to be on the same level of difficulty as the saxophone part, or is even more challenging. An extremely hard sax part with a relatively undemanding piano part would defy the conventional approach.

You may wish to look at some saxophone arrangements of Baroque sonatas (Bach, Vivaldi, Handel). The solo parts were originally written for violin, flute, or oboe, so they can often provide a good workout. Maybe you can find one with a piano part that is just the continuo, rather than a fancy exercise in its own right.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts