Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm knew here on the SOTW forums, so I thought I might as well ask a question to kind of break the ice so to speak..

I'm looking for a reed that can help darken my tone a little bit, however I know the mouthpiece has more to do with your tone than the reed does. Currently I play on a metal Otto Link Tonemaster Series (6), on a Selmer Mark VI tenor with Vandoren Java reeds (3's). The Javas play nice and I really dig their responsiveness, but I don't really care for how edgy and bright my tone gets. I thought about just slapping on one of my classical reeds and calling it hunky dory, but it just seems blasphemous to play on a jazz mouthpiece with classical reeds.. :mrgreen:. Was wondering if anyone had some insight? Thanks in advance!

-Tanner.

Ps: Please keep in mind I'll be a high school senior this fall, and while I've been playing sax for almost 6 years, I've only as of two years ago started to delve into the more technical aspect of the instrument, so I apologize if I come off as a bit noobish.. [rolleyes]

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,936 Posts
"Classical" and "jazz" are mostly marketing descriptions. I remember when you just either bought Rico or Vandoren. No genre labels applied to the reeds.

·
Registered
260 Posts
First, welcome to the forums. You can also try different reeds like Gonzalez, Zonda, Alexanders to get different tones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Finding the right reed may be more critical to your sound than you think. I agree with the others - find the reed that works for you and disregard all the marketing hype that reed-makers put on their boxes, inserts, and web-sites. Good tone is good tone regardless of the type of music one plays.

In my comparisons of Vandoren Java to their ZZ brand, I chose the ZZ because the reeds (over the long haul, not based on one reed) seemed to be a bit darker, more substantial, and more easily adjusted, if some adjustment was required.

We all vary. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,210 Posts
Jazz reeds, Classical reeds, Jazz moutpieces, Classical mouthpieces.... Marketing hype to get you to buy more 'stuff' that you probably don't really need.

Forget about the 'Style' on the lable and use what ever gives you the sound and response that you are looking for.
The 'Jazz Police' aren't going to confiscate your horn if you're using a 'Classical' reed or mouthpiece. :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm looking for a reed that can help darken my tone a little bit, .......it just seems blasphemous to play on a jazz mouthpiece with classical reeds.. :mrgreen:. Was wondering if anyone had some insight? Thanks in advance!

-Tanner.
Tanner,
I am a firm believer in Légère reeds. I will tailor my recommendation as if you were one of my students.

If you're playing in your concert band, try this: Légère Classic cut reeds (go about 1/4 strength softer than you usually play on cane). They are great for the section and don't sound abrasive like a "jazz" reed tends to in that setting. Preferrably, to be used with your concert mouthpiece.

If you're playing in your jazz band, try this: Légère Signature Series reeds (I recommend at least 1/4 to 1/2 strength softer than your normal reeds- if you're on Java 3s, go with the 2.5 Légère Signature Series.

All Légère reeds play nice and give excellent bang for the buck, but the newer Signatures for tenor are beasts! To reference what you are familiar with, they are a mix between all the nicest parts of V16 and ZZ reeds, with the added security and convienence of being synthetic! I would not call them "dark", but rather "full" in the best sense of the word!

Check them out here: www.legere.com

Good luck!
B.B.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'd check out Vandoren blue box. They do tend to run "hard" though. I also use Rigotti's but I don't think that's as well suited to your goal as the blue box. Good luck!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good to see another soon to be senior here on SOTW. When I had the STM 6* I used the Jazz Select 3.5. I use Java Greens now on other pieces but I found that the Jazz Selects gave a more subtle yet resonant tone. It was smooth and only punchy when I wanted it to be. They are cheap so try a box in your prefered strength.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts