Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Looking to get an EX90 Alto as back up /second horn and use in Horn section I play with.

I used to own a SX90R Alto until 7yrs ago late 1980s sold for £1200 and now regret selling.I miss that "Phat sound".... I brought a SA80 mk1 alto after, but it's had a busy life and could do with a major overhaul ,but that's another story.

So i'm looking to spend up to £1000 = $1300 max.Max for a tidy EX90 mk1 or 2.

I've read a fair few review and post's here so I'm aware of the pro's and con's

It's the prices ,I have my eye on 3 or 4 ....there's 1 gold lacquer series 1 almost as new for £740 ($970)+ another series 2 for £700($920) both sound as though they are as good as new.

But the one I fancy is a Black Nickle series 1 But at £1200 is this too much ,but is open to offers ??? It's mint and was kept as a back up horn so is this a silly price,I need a few pointers
And is it sufficiently different Tone wise to justify the price.... I,m guessing £1000

These are all private sales so i need to travel to try each one,but fortunately in and around London or that way...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was Hoping some one would help me regards the value for an EX90 Serie 1 black Nickle Alto, is £1200 to high.... I'm looking at one now, any advice appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Value on a horn that is available in limited quantity is a tough call. Check ebay “Sold” listings for the general market value, but you’ll have to adjust for what is available in your locale, condition, and - at the end of the day - just how much it is worth to you to have a horn of that particular color.

Play the horn, make an offer, but be prepared to pay the asking price if that’s what you really want (vs. “need”).

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
To your specific question of "is the nickle finish different tone wise?"...the short answer is no. It's impossible to tell if any tonal differences are the finish, or the current playing condition of the horn, or the variances in the same model of saxophone. Even Yamaha's can vary, and I consider them pretty consistent if in top playing condition.

Otherwise, Dr. G hit it on the head...do your homework on Ebay and go try the horn. If you're super happy with it, make a fair offer and see what happens. Best of luck!

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi

Looking to get an EX90 Alto as back up /second horn and use in Horn section I play with.

I used to own a SX90R Alto until 7yrs ago late 1980s sold for £1200 and now regret selling.I miss that "Phat sound".... I brought a SA80 mk1 alto after, but it's had a busy life and could do with a major overhaul ,but that's another story.

So i'm looking to spend up to £1000 = $1300 max.Max for a tidy EX90 mk1 or 2.

I've read a fair few review and post's here so I'm aware of the pro's and con's

It's the prices ,I have my eye on 3 or 4 ....there's 1 gold lacquer series 1 almost as new for £740 ($970)+ another series 2 for £700($920) both sound as though they are as good as new.

But the one I fancy is a Black Nickle series 1 But at £1200 is this too much ,but is open to offers ??? It's mint and was kept as a back up horn so is this a silly price,I need a few pointers
And is it sufficiently different Tone wise to justify the price.... I,m guessing £1000

These are all private sales so i need to travel to try each one,but fortunately in and around London or that way...
I'd definitely go straight for that silver plated SX90
https://musicalinstrumentsales.com/viewad.php?adId=17401

The price sound ok (to me), maybe the seller could make you even a better price by dealing in person

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys ...looking at a new MKX alto at £2,199 = $2,890 in gold lacquer, It's brand New and 1K lower than a vintage finish at Sax.co.uk

I'm now very tempted on this one ,I've got small hands so I thought the MKXs sounded good from All the Reviews I've read on SOTW . Someone even said the MKX Alto sounded a little like a series 1 SA80 that I play, which is Sadly in need of a Major Re build£££££

so maybe I'll try a couple of MKX alto's first and then decide. It's either a New Horn Or back to the £700 EX90

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK so I've had a rethink and brought a new JK MKX Alto at £2'199 on line as it was to good to ignore and with a 30 day return policy .
Mad I know but It hasn't been plain sailing so far, sax turned up minus the Crook that arrived next day.

But this is the worry with this model the green felt on the A key expanded to double the size after only 1/2 hour of playing thus causing a leak,with the pad not closing fully....OK I'm a wet Player but have never known this before
So off to the Repair Tech who took one look and shook his head ....the quality of the felt is very poor and soft, as soon as moisture got on it , it expanded.

His thought's and my own also is the body Bell bow are of good quality Brass, but else where savings have been made on Pad cups ,Felt etc

Tone seemed great and wasn't a big change in feel to my 40yr old Selmer SA80 regards fingering . Intonation was better than my SA80
Sax is still at the repair guys
I'll pick it up tomorrow so until then I hope it's sorted ...if not it goes back

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK so I'm sending the JK MKX Alto back as there's something not right about this horn ..it may be this particular horn but it doesn't like fast passages and runs.It seems to drop out around F#2 going through G2 ,G#2
Spent a few hours on this horn but it was not getting better with time
I tried Harder Reeds as I normally play a soft set up on my SA80 I have about 5/6 different make of reed 2.. 2 1/2 3 and a few in between including a Plastic reed
but whether I used soft or hard It was a problem..
Great Tone and such a pity it wasn't the one ... guess It's best to try a few at a pucker Sax shop than Chance it on line...at least it's going back and I get the refund

1 - 9 of 9 Posts