Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/3231436206.html

So I went to try this saxophone out.
It has some problems, The C# key is stuck will not move and the G# key does not work i'm guessing it's the spring and some missing felt here and there.
Also 3 or 4 pads are needed to be replaced. Not sure how much that will cost (can anyone estimate?)
I've read in elsewhere in this forum that the Gretsch is a Stencil of the Beuscher Aristocrat
That being said, Should I just keep saving my money and buy a Beuscher Aristrocrat online or buy this Gretsch?
The sound of the Gretsch has a very sweet sound, Light weight I really liked it, but again has some problems.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,083 Posts
There are many people on SOTW who are more knowledgeable than I am about vintage horns, but my reaction is that it's too much money for an off-brand alto that doesn't work. It may not be fixable, or only by spending more money than the horn is worth. I think you can do better.

These are the red flags:
"alto sax in good condition" - you've just said it's not
"It plays well throughout the whole register." - you've just said it doesn't
"Vintage horn in playing condition" - you've just said it's not

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,082 Posts
Looks like a Buescher to me. Pretty much top dollar even if it has good pads. Keep looking! Check out the Marketplace here at SOTW. Many here (like myself) have fully repadded vintage altos for under $500 that can be returned. CL is always a mystery. Some junk and some jewels.

·
Banned
375 Posts

It has some problems, The C# key is stuck will not move and the G# key does not work i'm guessing it's the spring and some missing felt here and there.
Also 3 or 4 pads are needed to be replaced. Not sure how much that will cost (can anyone estimate?)
I've read in elsewhere in this forum that the Gretsch is a Stencil of the Beuscher Aristocrat
That being said, Should I just keep saving my money and buy a Beuscher Aristrocrat online or buy this Gretsch?
The sound of the Gretsch has a very sweet sound, Light weight I really liked it, but again has some problems.
you tried the horn shown in the craigslist link you posted????.... Right?
Should I just keep saving my money and buy a Beuscher Aristrocrat online or buy this Gretsch?
I believe you should save your money, since you posted that the horn here has some issues.

The C# key is stuck will not move and the G# key does not work i'm guessing it's the spring and some missing felt here and there.
I strongly advise you not to buy this horn:yikes!:.... Mark my words. If the C sharp wont move and if the G sharp key does not work, and if it needs 4 pads and needs felt, you are buying someone else's problem....:yikes!:

Been there, done that, because I bought a bundy II once that had pads that were worn and I did not notice that the horn was in need of repair:yikes!:... Repair estimate was $500.00, but there was no way in hell I was gonna spend $500 bucks on an overhaul for a bundy II to get overhauled:doubt:... So I rented an AS500 that's worth almost $2,000 bucks.:idea:

Never buy a horn that will give you trouble, because you will develop bad habits when dealing with that horn...:yikes!:

I think you should rent one instead of plunking $500 bucks on a horn that doesn't work. It is less money to rent one, depending on where you live. Find out at your local band instrument store to see if you can rent an alto sax.:idea:

And when you start getting kick *** chops on alto, you can spend $3,000 or maybe 4 grand on a pro horn (unless you got lots of cash to burn), but usually I seriously don't recommend that, especially in today's economy,in which I lost alot of hope for.

Hope this helped:cool:,

MeYerfanUSA!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well, one experience isn't necessarilly how it works for everyone. I bought a rough looking Bundy II for $30.00 that had the c and d# keys stuck, the upper stack sticking, needed a new cork and 5 new pads and had all the work done for $80.00 in Atlanta at a reputable shop and it's a great player now.

Not that the sax in question is a great (or even good) deal, but there is probably plenty of room to negotiate and get some work done depending on what the local tech charges.

·
Registered
587 Posts
He`s selling an item that needs attention. So If you want . Make a cheeky offer of around $180 and leave it up to him . "Cash Is King" during hard times and the Global Market is completely saturated with Alto Saxes.

To add. Is it a branded Mouthpiece? This could be in your favour.

·
Banned
375 Posts
"It plays well throughout the whole register." ?????????

It looks like it certainly doesnt... Especially When you are dealing w/ a horn that has the C sharp key stuck and a g sharp key that won't move, as posted by the OP...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,224 Posts
Yes .....that comment raised my eyebrows as well.

Bad advice to rent ....if you have $400 now. Too bad I moved from SF a year go or you could have come tried my stock of Altos.

$400 can get you a very nice horn in good playing shape
. Heck, you could land a bona fide 60's Aristocrat for that sorta dolla'.

Do this: contact Tony at Anthony's Woodwind Corner in San Rafael. Ask him if he still has that Martin Indiana he had worked up about a year go. His intent was to sell it, although last time I checked he wasn't trying very hard. Tell him George sent you. I bet he'd let her go for 4 bill$.

..... if you roll snakeyes, & nothing promising surfaces on C'list, lemme know and I my be able to help you out. Or, you can try the Marketplace here or eBay, just be sure the seller has a return policy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Bad advice to rent ....if you have $400 now. Too bad I moved from SF a year go or you could have come tried my stock of Altos.

$400 can get you a very nice horn in good playing shape
. Heck, you could land a bona fide 60's Aristocrat for that sorta dolla'.

Do this: contact Tony at Anthony's Woodwind Corner in San Rafael. Ask him if he still has that Martin Indiana he had worked up about a year go. His intent was to sell it, although last time I checked he wasn't trying very hard. Tell him George sent you. I bet he'd let her go for 4 bill$.

..... if you roll snakeyes, & nothing promising surfaces on C'list, lemme know and I my be able to help you out. Or, you can try the Marketplace here or eBay, just be sure the seller has a return policy.
I'm definatly going to take that advice.
Also, THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE REPLIES
wasn't expecting this many.
I think I decided not to buy the sax strictly because you are all correct on the fact it's not a complete working horn.
I'll see what the Woodwind corner tells me thank you all!

·
Banned
375 Posts
Really? :tsk:
Yes, I know it is quite expensive for a student horn.

And it is not the AS500 aristocrat , I'm talking about the Taiwanese AS500. I rented a Taiwanese made horn that is worth $1,500 from a music store. The key action on it is great. The horn was setup before I rented it. This saxophone reminds me of a black nickel cannonball sceptyr alto I tried a year ago.

I saw the Aristocrat version you posted in the link. This sax is priced quite reasonably.

·
Banned
375 Posts
I'm definatly going to take that advice.
Also, THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE REPLIES
wasn't expecting this many.
I think I decided not to buy the sax strictly because you are all correct on the fact it's not a complete working horn.
I'll see what the Woodwind corner tells me thank you all!
I know that this post may be off topic for this thread but I have questions to ask you:
Are you a beginner? How long have you been playing?

Have you taken saxophone lessons?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Yes, I know it is quite expensive for a student horn.

And it is not the AS500 aristocrat , I'm talking about the Taiwanese AS500. I rented a Taiwanese made horn that is worth $1,500 from a music store. The key action on it is great. The horn was setup before I rented it. This saxophone reminds me of a black nickel cannonball sceptyr alto I tried a year ago.

I saw the Aristocrat version you posted in the link. This sax is priced quite reasonably.
OK, whatever you say. So let me get this straight, it's the Aristocrat AS500 that only fetches $400. But the Taiwan made NON Aristocrat fetches 1500? Or was it $2000? Thanks for the AS500 lesson. So answer this, where is the Aristocrat AS500 made?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,224 Posts
:|........

...........:|.........

I know that this post may be off topic for this thread but I have questions to ask you:
Are you a beginner? How long have you been playing?
Have you taken saxophone lessons?
:scratch:

Also 3 or 4 pads are needed to be replaced......Light weight I really liked it, but again has some problems.
:|...am I presumptuous to say it sorta sounds like Ricksarm plays sax ????

·
Banned
375 Posts
OK, whatever you say. So let me get this straight, it's the Aristocrat AS500 that only fetches $400. But the Taiwan made NON Aristocrat fetches 1500? Or was it $2000?
IIRC, around $1,600 ish or so.

Thanks for the AS500 lesson. So answer this, where is the Aristocrat AS500 made?
Ironically, The Aristocrat version is made in Taiwan. I always thought the Selmer USA Aristocrat version was made elsewhere (e.g, Japan, or USA?)

I'm assuming maybe the Aristocrat fetches for $400.00 possibly because it could be the slightly earlier version of the AS500, while a brand new AS500 fetches for around $1,600.

·
Banned
375 Posts
:|........

:|...am I presumptuous to say it sorta sounds like Ricksarm plays sax ????
Not really.

To put it in the simplest way possible, I was just asking those questions as a way of me saying: "how long have you been playing sax? / what is your skill level on sax? adding that can maybe help in the OP's question "Advice on buying this sax?"

That is just my suggestion/opinion.

·
Banned
375 Posts

Bad advice to rent.
Not bad advice for me.. I rented mine at the recommendation of my saxophone teacher.

But it may be for you.

Now, if you have enough money saved for a horn, like you said.......................
if you have $400 now
then that is a different story..........................................

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
IIRC, around $1,600 ish or so.

Ironically, The Aristocrat version is made in Taiwan. I always thought the Selmer USA Aristocrat version was made elsewhere (e.g, Japan, or USA?)

I'm assuming maybe the Aristocrat fetches for $400.00 possibly because it could be the slightly earlier version of the AS500, while a brand new AS500 fetches for around $1,600.
Well that's a shame, because your $1600 you spent (rented?) on a student horn would have fetched you something much nicer if you were willing to explore the used market. Live and learn I guess. It's funny, I have a pro soprano for sale that won't even fetch $1600.

·
Banned
375 Posts
Well that's a shame, because your $1600 you spent (rented?) on a student horn would have fetched you something much nicer if you were willing to explore the used market. Live and learn I guess. It's funny, I have a pro soprano for sale that won't even fetch $1600.

Well, the AS500 that I'm using turns out to be a good quality student horn, it works for me, It's a fun saxophone to play. But, frankly, I really don't pay much attention about what brand alto I play/use, as long it is high quality and not junk, and as long as the sax can get the job done, I'm fine. The only thing I care about the horn is the quality, ergonomics and how it plays.

However, someday, when I become very advanced on alto sax, Chances are, I'll grow out of my AS500, so I will consider upgrading to a professional model sax in the future, to serve me well like the AS500 is.

explore the used market.
I was not willing to explore the used market, because, I tried once, and it did not turn out well, and for fear that I would buy a sax that has issues I am completely unaware about.
I bought a Bundy II used alto once that I thought the pads on it were fine and I was unaware that these pads looked worn until it started giving me problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts