Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm on the verge on going vintage and am in need of opinions on the following horns...
Alto Saxes is Question:
- Original Lacquer Conn 6m Serial # 30x,xxx ($1760), Older pads
- Original Lacquer Buescher Aristocrat Serial # 27xxxx ($1130)
- Original Lacquer Martin Alto Serial #16xxxx ($1310)
- Selmer Mark VII Serial # 29xxxx ($2520)
- Selmer Super Action 80 Series I ($2120)

Cheers!

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 6M but the price seems high if you are talking US dollars. The Mark VII is probably more versatile. All the prices look like they are on the higher end but you are probably dealing with retail if someone has those horns in one place.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
If the MkVI is "the" reference horn for you, the closest one is the SA80-I. It all depends on what kind of sound and action (ergos) you are after.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally, I'm after a change in my sound from my current bright tone, which is quite edgy and good for funk, to a dark, smooth tone (with still a bit of edge) while being quite versatile as I play in a range of styles and bands. I currently play on a John Lehner 'Don Burrows Collection', Mouth Piece is a Ponzol (which I might need to change too!).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,979 Posts
I think they are all overpriced, actually. I mean...for those prices ~ every one of those horns should have been repadded less than 2 years ago, and have zero dents and no more than a couple of insignificant dings.

The Martin and The Buescher are gonna have the most edge to 'em. The Conn is gonna have the widest, darkest spread. From most-focused to most-spread, it'd go: Martin, Buescher, Conn....

If you wanna move away from a contemporary bright sorta tone, and get something dark and big and lush...I cannot see why that vii is even on the list. Sonically, the model is a complete failure....

I do agree with Ah, however...if what is most important is familiarity in feel and you are coming off of a contemporary horn, then I suppose the selmers are the default choice.

But if what you want is sonic diversity, and very good construction quality... and you are willing to take a few weeks to get a horn under your fingers (which is about all it takes), any of the old americans are the way to go.

The Martin is slam in the sweet spot of Martin production (am assuming it's a Comm. III). Off the top of my head, that's the one which pops out at me. It's also the least overpriced of all of 'em (assuming condition is very good).....only by a couple hundred, maybe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts