Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need Advice on Alto sax Jazz Mouthpieces

I’m a highschool player and I just started getting myself into jazz last year in my school’s jazz band. I just need reccomendations on mouthpieces that might pair well with my instrument and get a sound that I desire. Currently I play on a Yamaha Custom EXII with a Refaced Rousseau Nc4, and Legere Signature 3.5. I am looking for a swing band or Count Basie band kind of sax sound. I’ve already played on a few Vandoren V16 A6 mouthpieces aswell as HR Meyers and D’addario jazz select mouthpieces. Right now I am liking the Vandoren V16, but I would like to know what you guys would reccomend me. Thanks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
You won’t go wrong with the V16. Meyers are well known but have a reputation of being inconsistent from piece to piece...at least for the modern samples. Jody Jazz HR* is a good alternative too, perhaps with a little more edge than the V16. I can’t speak to the D’addario at all as I’ve never tried one.

Play as many as you can get your hands on. When you find “the one”, you’ll know it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Also consider what era Basie are you looking for? The saxes are a lot punchier and rockish as you get into the 60s and 70s than early Basie, and you're more likely to see an emphasis on longer facings and smaller tip openings for the early period. There's also the band itself to consider. What sound is the director looking for? You could have a great 30s or 40s sound, but if the director wants that late jazz-rock alto you're not going to be fitting in.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Especially if you want to go new vs. used, a Vandoren V16 is very consistent and excellent.
And nothing wrong with a Meyer either, although I would personally try a few instead of getting one sure-bet from Vandoren.

I have personally used a Ponzol HR Vintage Rubber that's made specifically to be like a Meyer or Link blend and particularly towards a 50s/60s traditional sound. I played lead alto in German Big Bands and combos for a couple of decades. My particular mpc. has been slightly cleaned up by refacer Ed Zentera, I'm not pushing this, but if you're interested, I might make you a good offer, but the cost is going to be more than a stock Vandoren or Meyer. PM me if interested.

But back to the mains topic, I'd go with a Meyer or Vandoren if I was buying new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts