Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my student alto Yamaha and have been searching on ebay. I found a Yanagisawa a-900u at what seems to be a reasonable price but I'm not that experienced I'm buying saxophones particularly online and was wondering whether you guys reckon it's a good buy.

The listed price is $1800 US

The seller says it has had defective pads replaced and overall adjustments. Very small amounts of rust and some scratches.

Pictures attached
Musical instrument Brass instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Music

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wood Clarinet family Wind instrument

Musical instrument Reed instrument Gold Wind instrument Brass instrument
Musical instrument Membranophone Idiophone Drum Brass instrument
Musical instrument Motor vehicle Brass instrument Music Auto part
Musical instrument Automotive lighting Amber Brass instrument Wind instrument
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Musical instrument accessory Woodwind instrument
Musical instrument Wind instrument Wood Bicycle part Metal
Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

·
Registered
8 Posts
I see the ebay listing, and that the price seems to have increased. Regardless, I'd take a close look at that seller's feedback as a rough way to gauge their reliability. This seller only has feedback on one prior saxophone sale (a Yanagisawa tenor), and a lot of positive feedback on sales of guitars, amps, etc. So it's hard to tell if this is a fair price or not, considering that the amount of work needed on it is unknown.

For what it's worth, I used to own one of these, and they're fantastic horns! Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
Yamaha 82ZII Tenor, Yamaha 481 Flute, Fender American Telecaster, Martin Acoustic
207 Posts
I never buy horns from overseas. I would stick to a reputable seller in the US. Getasax.com, DCsax.com or Quinntheeskimo (brassandwinds.com)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see the ebay listing, and that the price seems to have increased. Regardless, I'd take a close look at that seller's feedback as a rough way to gauge their reliability. This seller only has feedback on one prior saxophone sale (a Yanagisawa tenor), and a lot of positive feedback on sales of guitars, amps, etc. So it's hard to tell if this is a fair price or not, considering that the amount of work needed on it is unknown.

For what it's worth, I used to own one of these, and they're fantastic horns! Good luck with your search.
It looks like new pads and nothing obviously broken. Also it is pretty mint so I doubt there would be major issues. Thanks so much

·
Registered
274 Posts
The price is probably $200 - $300 high for USA prices - especially considering that Brian at GetASax has an A-901 for $2,100.

If you want a sax now rather than waiting for a bargain to show up, then it sounds like it is a reasonable price given where you are located. (But maybe another Aussie will chime in.)

If you want to wait for a bargain, A-880s and A-990s usually show up on eBay for $1,200 - $1,500 depending on condition and who is bidding. I recently got a near-mint late model A-880 for ~ $1,500 for reference. I'm not sure what the shipping cost would be though.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade my student alto Yamaha and have been searching on ebay. I found a Yanagisawa a-900u at what seems to be a reasonable price but I'm not that experienced I'm buying saxophones particularly online and was wondering whether you guys reckon it's a good buy.

The listed price is $1800 US

The seller says it has had defective pads replaced and overall adjustments. Very small amounts of rust and some scratches.

Pictures attached View attachment 111697

View attachment 111698
View attachment 111699 View attachment 111700 View attachment 111701 View attachment 111702 View attachment 111703 View attachment 111704 View attachment 111705
You could always make an offer $200 less the asking price. All he can say is no. It does appear to be in pretty good shape. I was curious about the plastic saddle installed to keep the long hinge tubes from swaying too much. I thought they only used that on the older A-500 instruments. Its always amazing to me the different key work that Yanagisawa throws together for any particular horn. Its like when they switch lines they may choose to wait until they use up all of the certain types of keys before updating. The things that drew my attention were the front F. This is often a flat, oval pearl on the A900 model and some use different alt-F# and high F# keys. I've also seen the A900 with the Yanagisawa badge on the front of the bell instead of the logo being stamped on the side. There are so many looks for the A900.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts