Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a tuner. Any advice or recommendations? Brands? Models?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Korg makes a couple of inexpensive ones.

You also may want to google around for a freeware version to put on your computer, if it's convenient to where you practice.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen the ones on the computer but how accurate could they be if they are dependent on the crappy microphone built into my laptop.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
jmartin said:
I've seen the ones on the computer but how accurate could they be if they are dependent on the crappy microphone built into my laptop.
I suspect that any inexpensive tuner will have the same 'crappy' microphone in them.;)

Seriously though, the mic only needs to be accurate enough to get the fundamental--not very accurate.

I usually use the tuner through the laptop mic of my 2002 tibook, using the tuner supplied with 'garageband.'

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Korg CA-30 is a good, small chromatic tuner that sells for about $20 on line.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,464 Posts
I borrow my piano-playing kids (3 of 'em) Korg CA-30. I think we payed about $20-$30 for it about 10 years ago. Works well and small enough to easily carry around in your case. Would slip in a jacket pocket easily as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
hakukani said:
using the tuner supplied with 'garageband.'
Garage bands tune?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
retread said:
Garage bands tune?
Sorry, what was that? I can't hear you.:D;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found alot of guitar tuners online but they don't seem to be much more than tone generators. anyone know of any freeware downloads that are useable?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
PeeCee or real computer?;)

Try googling using the term: chromatic tuner freeware

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought PC and "real computer" were the same thing.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Rick Adams said:
(and I'm guessing Hakukani's one of those smarty arty Mac users) ;)
Yep, I've been using Macs on and off since 1986.

I have to use a PeeCee with windoze at work. At home, my wife has a dell PC, and I have a 2002 titanium powerbook. I have to run anti-spyware and malware software weekly. My tibook caught a small virus once. It caught it through Word macros. I wouldn't have known about it, until I sent a .doc to a PeeCee user, and her anti-virus software went nuts.

Up until a couple of months ago, I also had an old Dell PC running linux that I used as a file server. The motherboard finally crapped out.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank for the search suggestion, hakukani. It turned up lots of hits, now I just have to sort through them.

But I also want a tuner I can put in my case and carry with me. I'll check out the Korg for that duty.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
I have the older version of this one which IMO is the most accurate, sturdy and good looking, retro-lighted so you can read in the dark light of your practice basement or concert stage, versatile ans GAS generating, best EVER tuner!!

I like it.

Victor.

Edit : just read the features and you'll understand. It is a bit pricey compared to other toys but I had mine for more than 6 years now and it's good as new. Best accessory investment I have ever done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just another vote for the Korg CA-30 which I bought after reading posts here. Good bit of kit (with illuminated indicators for practising in the dark, etc) and cheap too. Use it every day and wouldn't be without it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really like the looks of that Korg OT-120, Pig. I'm going to look into that one. GAS.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
korg has an inexpensive clip on tuner that can be set for mic or piezo pick so you can tune while playing in an ensemble or on stage with a rock band. clips on the neck or bell. great for students or when playing a new horn, neck mouthpiece etc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts