Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently play a hard rubber Ponzol 105 (Tenor), which is great for small-format bar gigs and the like. But I would like to find an alternate metal mouthpiece for situations in which I need more projection, like un-miked big band scenarios. I think an Otto Link might be the way to go (I want to keep it under $150 or so...no $400 mouthpieces for me). Any advice?

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
You can get a hard rubber or plastic mouthpiece that has the projection you are looking for...contact Phil Englemen at [email protected] and talk to him about his custom pieces; I think they're at $195 and they're customized to your needs. I've played one for over 3 years now and it's extremely versatile, and I consider mine a little darker than normal. He could make you a brighter one with more projection.

- Saxaholic

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,787 Posts
A Ponzol M2 will give you more volume also. Which hard rubber Ponzol are you playing? I like the gold M2's a lot. You can find them on ebay. Maybe get a 110 which will give you more volume and brightness.

Philtones hard rubber piece is also crankin loud if you want to stick with hard rubber. I don't think a metal link will be any louder for you than the HR Ponzol.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,882 Posts
I don't think a metal link will be any louder for you than the HR Ponzol.
It may well be quieter.

I'd stick with what you have until you can play something and compare how it works for you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've never had luck with metal mouthpieces- in fact, I haven't used them much at all. I just assumed they would be brighter and more projecting.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,787 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,703 Posts
Id be happy to make you a piece. I also have a vintage King piece opened to a .105. I dont think it is louder than my piece but It has more focus than a Link.

It is $165 and shipping.

I also have a cleaned up SR Tech Pro..it is LOUD. It is priced a little over 200 though.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a Phil-Tone Custom hard rubber 7*. No Link can come close to being as loud. Excellent work by Phil. My Barone Hollywood 8, metal which I will be selling, is not nearly as loud. Hollywood was my first metal piece and personally don't like the metal feel.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,596 Posts
Phil Tone makes good stuff. Or maybe try a HR Vandoren Jumbo Java, or a (good) high-baffle HR Berg Larsen.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,932 Posts
What's the rest of the section playing?

BTW, it ain't the mouthpiece that makes the sound carry to the back of the hall.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Id be happy to make you a piece. I also have a vintage King piece opened to a .105. I dont think it is louder than my piece but It has more focus than a Link.

It is $165 and shipping.

I also have a cleaned up SR Tech Pro..it is LOUD. It is priced a little over 200 though.
+1 This offer to make a custom piece sounds like the perfect solution to the problem. And that's a great deal too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts