Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently play a hard rubber Ponzol 105 (Tenor), which is great for small-format bar gigs and the like. But I would like to find an alternate metal mouthpiece for situations in which I need more projection, like un-miked big band scenarios. I think an Otto Link might be the way to go (I want to keep it under $150 or so...no $400 mouthpieces for me). Any advice?

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,837 Posts
You can get a hard rubber or plastic mouthpiece that has the projection you are looking for...contact Phil Englemen at [email protected] and talk to him about his custom pieces; I think they're at $195 and they're customized to your needs. I've played one for over 3 years now and it's extremely versatile, and I consider mine a little darker than normal. He could make you a brighter one with more projection.

- Saxaholic

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,030 Posts
A Ponzol M2 will give you more volume also. Which hard rubber Ponzol are you playing? I like the gold M2's a lot. You can find them on ebay. Maybe get a 110 which will give you more volume and brightness.

Philtones hard rubber piece is also crankin loud if you want to stick with hard rubber. I don't think a metal link will be any louder for you than the HR Ponzol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've never had luck with metal mouthpieces- in fact, I haven't used them much at all. I just assumed they would be brighter and more projecting.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,030 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,207 Posts
Id be happy to make you a piece. I also have a vintage King piece opened to a .105. I dont think it is louder than my piece but It has more focus than a Link.

It is $165 and shipping.

I also have a cleaned up SR Tech Pro..it is LOUD. It is priced a little over 200 though.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a Phil-Tone Custom hard rubber 7*. No Link can come close to being as loud. Excellent work by Phil. My Barone Hollywood 8, metal which I will be selling, is not nearly as loud. Hollywood was my first metal piece and personally don't like the metal feel.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,617 Posts
Phil Tone makes good stuff. Or maybe try a HR Vandoren Jumbo Java, or a (good) high-baffle HR Berg Larsen.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,872 Posts
What's the rest of the section playing?

BTW, it ain't the mouthpiece that makes the sound carry to the back of the hall.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Id be happy to make you a piece. I also have a vintage King piece opened to a .105. I dont think it is louder than my piece but It has more focus than a Link.

It is $165 and shipping.

I also have a cleaned up SR Tech Pro..it is LOUD. It is priced a little over 200 though.
+1 This offer to make a custom piece sounds like the perfect solution to the problem. And that's a great deal too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts