Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello sax masters -

I have been trying to growl for many months using the technique I was "taught" by my teacher - to make a low pitched vocalization / humming with my vocal chords while moving enough air to get the note to speak. It works for him. I've really struggled with this but it is starting to work.

Then I bought this app for my smart called "Tricks" by Eric Marienthal. He says he growls by "buzzing" one side of his mouth using air passing through his lips while playing any note. After only a few minutes, it seems to be working fairly well for me. I can do this on each side of my mouth, and even by loosening my top lip enough to "flap".

I assume this last one is common knowledge, but it was new to me. I mostly play tenor, not alto, but I'm wondering which way I should go on this.

Advice needed for a guy who really really wants to growl like a master....

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,600 Posts
Honestly, do whatever is easiest for you. I would still try to master the humming technique as there are other benefits you will achieve by being able to do it that way. But ultimately it's whichever way you prefer and sounds best to your ear.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Have to admit ...I have been growling for years ...turning it on and off as needed , but I have never heard of this "buzzing" technique ...but hey, if it works, go for it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts