Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a Bb-bariton Martin-stencil, labeled Symphony, with a series number 9XXX This would bring it back to somewhere close to 1920. The sax plays wonderful and has a lot of fans when I use it on stage. One shouldn't care about lacquer, most of it is gone.

However, the sax has fallen somewhere in his life and is still slightly bent. The intonation is OK, some notes are a bit harder, but overall it plays very even. The low end is just FAT. It's a bit stuffy on the E2, but that's gone when using a more open mouthpiece (I use a BergLarsen steel 120/2/SMS)

Now I have the chance to by a low A- Bariton for a very reasonable price. However, if I want to buy that one, I will have to sell the other one. I'm not sure if I will make the switch, the low A has to be GOOD or I just stick to this one.

The sax comes with a vintage mouthpiece (no label, rather small tip opening, but very good), and a very solid carrier bag (the bag alone was 300 euro). I planned to charge 1500 euro, but since it's slightly bent, that will be too much.

What sounds a reasonable price to you?

If you want to hear that sax in action, listen on this website :
http://www.fmbrussel.be/programmas/dub_front.aspx
click on "luister" (corner right above)
the song "Third dimension" (dub reggae) starts at 13:00
bariton solo : 16:18
(intonation is not always correct, but the BergLarsen ain't the most easy one, and it's meant to cry and scream. If you compare with the preceding tenor solo and the soprano solo in the end you'll notice it's mostly me)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
i would be interested, possibly, depending on how much you end up selling it for,

by stuffy do you mean it may needa pad or two doing?

could you drop the price at all?

does it have front f?

thanks,
Dan

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No front F
Pads are all fine, the horn is checked only a few months ago.
with stuffy I mean that the tonal quality changes remarkeably between D2 and E2. E2 sounds thinner than the other ones.

I will have to drop the price, but if I have to drop too low, I just can't make the switch. I can't really say how low I can drop, that depends on the deal I can get on the other one.

Given the expected price and my financial reserves, dropping below 1200 euro would hurt me too much. But if it doesn't sell at that price, it would hurt too. That's my dilemma.

·
2,487 Posts
i understand your 'dilemma' completely,
i will have to wait a while anyway to gather funds,

·
2,487 Posts
the ebsite keeps telling me i need to download a new windows media player i think, if my dutch is as good as it used to be :)
have you got these clips anywhere else?

thanks,
Dan

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a new flash player you will have to install. Unfortunately I don't have that clip anywhere else yet. I'll check if I can get it online somewhere else. If you pm me, I can send it by mail if you want.

·
2,487 Posts
Wait!!

i am very serious about trying to get it, but can't afford to, yet, if you can hold onto it for a while i might be able to get it!!

thanks...

·
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pics coming soon. How long do you think you'll need, because to be honest, I'm hurting myself now big time. I got the other one already, had to be quick. I can keep it for a while, but the add is out already.

·
2,487 Posts
ok, understood,

i will probably need a month max to gather funds, sorry if this is inconvenient,
but if you get a good offer, dont hold up for me,

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts