Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,921 Posts
I'm considering purchasing the saxophone below. Can someone please tell me if this is legit and what the value is? The serial number is 001837** (production period between 1992-1993 I believe). The seller is asking for $4,500.
That may be a "fair" price, but good luck trying to get your money back out of it if you don't love it.

For that kind of money, you should play it to see if it works for you. If not, it's not worth it. Not every great horn is necessarily a good match for everyone.

Or, maybe you just have a lot of money and like shiny things. If that's the case, it's a great deal.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,176 Posts
Maybe. But that is an earlier case (A880), it should also have the solid silver neck,
And it looks kinda rough for the price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
823 Posts
Sax Forte is selling a new A-W 033 for $5,649.00 FWIW

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Maybe. But that is an earlier case (A880),
No, that's the right case for the 1990s-era horns, prior to the 991/901 introduction. The 1980s-era cases had a yellow interior.

it should also have the solid silver neck
Yes. And I bet the seller didn't mention that the neck is a replacement. Hope he's not selling the silver neck separately.

And it looks kinda rough for the price.
Yes. Not a great deal. I wouldn't buy it if I were in the market for a silver Yany.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dear all,

Many thanks for your input.

I was thinking of offering the seller $1,500 for it. He however kept on insisting that it was a "rare and special" horn. What would be a fair price to offer? $1,000? $1,200? Less?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, that's the right case for the 1990s-era horns, prior to the 991/901 introduction. The 1980s-era cases had a yellow interior.

Yes. And I bet the seller didn't mention that the neck is a replacement. Hope he's not selling the silver neck separately.

Yes. Not a great deal. I wouldn't buy it if I were in the market for a silver Yany.

The seller actually said the saxophone didn't come with the silver neck. A little research online also shows that most of the early models and A-8833s didn't have the silver neck.

You seen to know a ton about these horns. What do think? how much would you offer for one in this condition?

·
Registered
696 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The seller actually said the saxophone didn't come with the silver neck. A little research online also shows that most of the early models and A-8833s didn't have the silver neck.

You seen to know a ton about these horns. What do think? how much would you offer for one in this condition?
??

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I already noted above that I wouldn't buy this sax, period. I don't buy horns in poor cosmetic condition (for several reasons, one of which is that I think it's a marker for other potential problems), and I would not buy a sterling Yany without a silver neck.

Solid silver Yanagisawas are not "rare" in any sense that's meaningful to this kind of transaction. They are still being made, and the current ones differ from those of 30 years ago only in the ways that today's Yany altos generally differ from their older counterparts. It's not as though the older models are the equivalent of Mark VIs while the current ones are like Selmer USA horns.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Pass on this. No need to meet. You guys are too far apart and this horn more than likely needs an overhaul.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the seller wanted $4500 and you are offering him $1500. Why waste the sellers time. That is a joke of an offer.
I'm only thinking of making that offer because of the state in which the saxophone is in. The seller is not a saxophonist and has never sold one before. It's been in their family for a while and only came up with his asking price based on the little research he carried out online.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts