Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the Saxquest Hoss would work great on a bass.
I use the original piece. It's marked "The Buescher Elkhart Ind". I chose it over a couple of bari pcs. I'm using it on a similar vintage Buescher bass. I really like the sound. It's full, of course, but warm and rich, too. Very nice top notes. I'd recommend getting one to try. Must be some out there.
Is there anyone who could suggest a source for an original Buescher Bass mouthpiece?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
What's your reasoning? Looks like that's modeled after a Berg. I've tried a bari Berg on bass, and the chamber is way too small and throws off the intonation. It's also much too bright. I had similar results with a Link. Bigger chamber, but still too bright.
Frankly I think trying to make a baritone mouthpiece work on a bass is always going to be pushing a string uphill in the mud. No one suggests using a tenor piece on baritone or an alto mouthpiece on tenor. Way back in Adrian Rollini's day when bass pieces had a huge chamber and a tiny facing with zero baffle, you could get more projection with a baritone piece that had a huge chamber (by today's standards) that was smaller than the huge huge bass chamber. But most of the baritone MP options that get floated are modern-ish pieces with much smaller chambers and much more baffle than the bass saxophone was designed for. I've tried several different versions of the converted baritone mouthpiece and have not been satisfied with any of them. If you look at my three true bass pieces - a Geo. Bundy old style, a Jody Jazz, and a Selmer - you'll see none of them is dimensionally the same inside as a baritone mouthpiece.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,991 Posts
What's your reasoning? Looks like that's modeled after a Berg. I've tried a bari Berg on bass, and the chamber is way too small and throws off the intonation. It's also much too bright. I had similar results with a Link. Bigger chamber, but still too bright.

Using larger chamber baritone mouthpieces on bass is pretty common, and this, although it is modeled after a very old 40s Berg, is a huge chamber mouthpiece. I have one. There's a lot of variation in Bergs.

But the main reason I think that one might work is that Saxquest had a bass for sale and made a video using that mouthpiece. Sounded pretty good to me.

Here's the video. Since I have a Hoss, I recognize the mouthpiece.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,991 Posts
You could call Saxquest and ask about their experience with the Hoss on a bass. Or, you're welcome to try mine. Although a friend of mine sounds very good on his short wrap bass with the Selmer mouthpiece, and does not lack projection.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,585 Posts
That Jody jazz is pretty expensive. It would end up being the most expensive mouthpiece I own. It would be great though to try it and compare it what I have.
Any recommendations on who has the best return policy? Pro winds ? Guitar center and Musicians friend say they have it in stock. Not sure what kind of return policy they have? Pretty sure WWBW has a restocking fee .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have not purchased one yet, but buying direct from JJ is supposed to get you 3 week trial - but there is fine print….

21 - 29 of 29 Posts