Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a beautiful Mark VI soprano that will be staying in its original case for a long time. What's the best way to prepare the horn for such a period of isolation?
I remember Emilio showing me (back in '81) how to spray WD40 into the barrel: he said it's good, I have no idea for what (I'm sure it makes the pads stick...).
Any tips on long term storage?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
segaleon said:
I have a beautiful Mark VI soprano that will be staying in its original case for a long time. What's the best way to prepare the horn for such a period of isolation?
I remember Emilio showing me (back in '81) how to spray WD40 into the barrel: he said it's good, I have no idea for what (I'm sure it makes the pads stick...).

I will ask one of my students what he does cause I know he won't be picking it up over the summer!

·
Registered
249 Posts
wd40

You gotta be kidding.....i can't believe why anybody asks his advice. The only place for wd40 is in your garage....you would want to breathe that stuff! Thats incredible!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
This Cybersax.com article may be of some help to you.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would first pull a swab through the bore and neck a couple of times, then leave it out to air dry (ie. on a stand) for a little while. I would then pull a swab through again to remove any dried up gunk. You probably don't have to, but I suggest giving the body a thorough cleaning with a soft cloth. I would then take any accessory items, reeds, mpc, neck strap, tuner, etc... and put them in a safe place or place them snuggly in the accessory compartment of the case.

The rest really depends on how long it will be sitting, where it will be sitting and the condition of the case. If the case is in bad shape or it will be in a high traffic area, I would suggest snugging everything up with bubble wrap. Make sure that nothing can move around. Some people recommend putting the whole thing in a waterproof bag, I think its overkill. Also, if the case is in bad shape, I would put a few strips of duct tape across the seam to make sure it won't upon up on you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's something I got from Matt from Saxforte:

I would consider doing the following:

a) unhook all springs to retain their temper over time
b) apply powder paper to all pads and cork all open keys lightly closed
c) ensure the case fits the horn well and that no strange pressure points exist
d) make sure the case interior is well cleaned of any grit etc.
e) insert a desiccant pouch in the case with the horn

WD40 is mostly propellant and is a light lubricant / surface coating. It may help prevent corrosion if the horn is stored in less than ideal conditions.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
segaleon said:
I have a beautiful Mark VI soprano that will be staying in its original case for a long time. What's the best way to prepare the horn for such a period of isolation?...
How Long???? Days, Months, Years, Decades???

If the plan is to have it emerge, blinking, into the sunlight on its 100th birthday - then there is virtually no chance of it being playable when unwrapped - at least not without an overhaul first..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts