Sax on the Web Forum banner

Advice for a step-up model mpc.

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  skeller047 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm brand new here to SOTW, but I need a little advice.

I'm currently playing on a Meyer 5M alto mpc with a FL lig and green java 3's for jazz and looking for a new mcp.
My question is what would be a good set-up/next level model mpc for me, I have interest in the New Jody Jazz HR's and the Beechler Bellites. I love my darker sound I get with my Meyer and I would like to carry that "darkness" over to the next mpc, but be able to brighten up and be heard when in a soli/solo section.

Would one of these mpc's be a good selection for me, or do you all have any other suggestions I could try?

BTW I'm talking about for an alto mpc step up.

#5 ·
Nothing wrong with a Meyer 5M. Switching to a larger tip might give you extra volume but what you gain in volume you lose in other areas.

If you're playing is mostly section work, I'd steer clear of the Beechler Bellite. The Jody jazz HR is essentially a Meyer-ish type piece (some would say better finished) at far greater cost.

I'd suggest trying to find a Meyer 6M type perhaps even try one from a reputable re-facer.

#6 ·
Nothing wrong with a Meyer. I wouldn't necessarily say anything else is a step up. If you like the Meyer but want to try other pieces that follow the basic Meyer concept, that's cool. The Jody Jazz hard rubber piece is one. The Vandoren V16 pieces are good. Mouthpiece Cafe has a NY Meyer copy as does Drake mouthpieces with his NY Jazz. The original Phil Tone piece (not sure what he calls it now since he's introduces names) is good as well.

I play the Drake. It has the Phil Wood Meyer tone, a little bit of Cannonball too. And it can get brighter than any of the other pieces I've mentioned. It's probably also going to be the most expensive one. My personal ranking for these pieces would be:

Drake
Phil Tone
Vandoren V16
Mouthpiece Cafe
Jody Jazz

FWIW, a modern Meyer 5 isn't the same tip as the Meyer 5's that Phil Woods and Cannonball played on. The old 5 is the equivalent of a modern 6 or 7 (pretty sure it's the 7).

#7 ·
Well my playin work is mainly in section, but I'm in a rock band with some good friends of mine, mainly on tenor, but I'd like to add alto into the mix so we can have variety. I was really thinking the beechler cause I love Marienthal's sound, along with Koz's too. Yet, I still love the more classic jazz sound that you'd get with the Jody(One of my big band friends has the Jody and loves it.) Is there anything else that you all could tell me about it, or will it just fully boil down to me trying the mouthpieces in person?

#8 ·
It really is a matter of personal preference. You can get the Jody Jazz, the Beechler Bellite, and the Vandoren V16 on trial from Woodwind and Brasswind and return the ones (or all) that you don't like.

Vandoren makes good mouthpieces and they're relatively inexpensive. If the V16 isn't bright enough then you can try it with a small chamber instead of a medium one and then there's the Java and Jumbo Java lines that are brighter. They have a lot of options. Listen to Antonio Hart and Vincent Herring as examples of guys who play Vandoren mouthpieces.

The Bellite will definitely have a more contemporary flavor than the others. Something to consider is that because it's metal, the Bellite will have a smaller profile than hard rubber pieces. Personally, I don't like the feel of metal pieces on alto. They just feel small and I'm not comfortable playing them. So that's something you should see about before you decide to purchase one.

#13 ·
Man, if you think a Meyer is can't get bright enough check out Marc Russo with the Yellowjackets. I've played with of a bunch of great lead alto players over the years who had pretty bright sounds on a Meyer. Another choice that I am impressed with is the Theo Wanne Gaia alto piece. It has a brighter sound for me but is still fat and thick sounding.

#15 ·
I sold just a Meyer 5m that I had refacet to NY 5 spec to a saxophone player in the mid-50s. He has played Meyer 7 and 8 in several big bands the last 35 years. For he a Meyer 5 was the perfect "step-up mpc" :)

NY 5 = tip opening 0.080". I gess his (according to himself) "tenor sounding" Meyers probably had "bumpy" tables.

Why not just send your Meyer 5M to Phil-Tone for refacing....

#17 ·
Yeah - get your current (or another) Meyer refaced. There is no other step up - only sideways.

I second the recommendation for a Drake mouthpiece, if you want to buy a new one - but this will be more expensive than a reface or even buying one of Phil-Tone's converted Meyers.

If you are having volume problems in a rock or blues type situation, turn up the mic, or get a clip-on. Don't try to solve volume problems with a mouthpiece, go for good full tone at all times and let electronic amplification do the volume for you.

The only other option is if you are going for a distinctly different sound, like one of the Dave's (Sanborn or Koz). Then you might want a higher-baffle piece, but remember this is a solo sound and it will be much harder to blend with a section in that case. (Not saying it doesn't sound good in a small RnB type horn section though...)

But remember, Maceo Parker the master of funk plays a Brilhart. The sound in in your concept and technique. I'd stick with the Meyer, and get it refaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.