Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hello all,

I'm sure others have asked this questions. I want to buy a tenor sax for my 11yr old son, don't want to go over
$1,200 max because he is young and thats a lot to spend. he is not a beginner and has been playing for over 5yrs. I know Yamaha is recommended but 2,500 is a lot for his age and I have to leave room for wear and tear because of his age. Also, there aren't many stores for us to test the instruments around me, the few I see have the Yamaha and more expensive ones. Places like Guitar Center only sell online have Student Series Allora, Bundy or Etude for $950 - $1,300, then go way up from almost $3000 to 0ver $8000.

Thanks.
Folu
I guess the implied question is what brands are good besides Yamaha?

Look for a high-end, but not over-hyped Taiwanese horn like a Jupiter Artist model, in the 800 through 2000 model series. Right now there are several of them on Reverb for around $900 or best offer. One of those is at a Sam Ash store.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
....I found some deals on reverb but their only offer is to buy with no option to test first.
Better not waste any more time shopping online for used horns. I know of no one, neither stores nor private sellers, who will send you a free saxophone in hopes of your buying or returning it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The Jupiter JTS1187 and Selmer STS280 are both good quality Taiwanese intermediate-level tenors. The JTS687 is a beginner horn, about the same as the Yamaha YTS-23.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts