Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm sure others have asked this questions. I want to buy a tenor sax for my 11yr old son, don't want to go over
$1,200 max because he is young and thats a lot to spend. he is not a beginner and has been playing for over 5yrs. I know Yamaha is recommended but 2,500 is a lot for his age and I have to leave room for wear and tear because of his age. Also, there aren't many stores for us to test the instruments around me, the few I see have the Yamaha and more expensive ones. Places like Guitar Center only sell online have Student Series Allora, Bundy or Etude for $950 - $1,300, then go way up from almost $3000 to 0ver $8000.

Thanks.
Folu

·
Registered
121 Posts
With a limited budget, and for someone with a couple of years experience, I would be looking at second-hand instruments. That would be the best value for money.
Perhaps you should account for some tech-work (check-up and some tweaks and adjustments). Probably between $100 and $200 .... but prices may vary according to the area you live in.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
where are you in the world? $1200 is plenty and you can certainly buy a secondhand horn in great state for that budget. You can spend way less and still have a very good horn. Have a look here in the classified ads.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
where are you in the world? $1200 is plenty and you can certainly buy a secondhand horn in great state for that budget. You can spend way less and still have a very good horn. Have a look here in the classified ads.
And most instructors and band directors have contacts and sources for instruments. $1200 ought to put you into a good looking, good playing Yamaha, as well as other good options.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Definitely look for a good condition professional horn used, rather than a shiny new, lesser student horn like those you listed. If he has been playing for five years, he will be ready for something better than another cheap student horn. Your money will go much further buying used. Just make sure that someone knowledgeable give input on the horn in question, the condition, what it might need to make it 100% playable etc.

·
38,840 Posts
even in that case, buying a secondhand saxophone gives more bang for buck.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hello all,

I'm sure others have asked this questions. I want to buy a tenor sax for my 11yr old son, don't want to go over
$1,200 max because he is young and thats a lot to spend. he is not a beginner and has been playing for over 5yrs. I know Yamaha is recommended but 2,500 is a lot for his age and I have to leave room for wear and tear because of his age. Also, there aren't many stores for us to test the instruments around me, the few I see have the Yamaha and more expensive ones. Places like Guitar Center only sell online have Student Series Allora, Bundy or Etude for $950 - $1,300, then go way up from almost $3000 to 0ver $8000.

Thanks.
Folu
I guess the implied question is what brands are good besides Yamaha?

Look for a high-end, but not over-hyped Taiwanese horn like a Jupiter Artist model, in the 800 through 2000 model series. Right now there are several of them on Reverb for around $900 or best offer. One of those is at a Sam Ash store.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
even in that case, buying a secondhand saxophone gives more bang for buck.
Absolutely right and the best example is from extradarcafe above - the Jupiter 889 with a sterling neck.

My point, however, is that there are alternatives to the used Yamaha 23 for the same price.

·
38,840 Posts
Those are incredible saxophones and often very cheap. A friend bought one for €750 and it would be as well made as a Selmer SA 80 II

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,979 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks.
Folu
It has already been stated by others, $1200 in a new horn isn't going to get you much really. It's a good budget for a used Tenor, however. Of course, the issue then becomes how can you, a new buyer to all this, navigate the used market safely and successfully ?

IF your local Craigslist does not have much going on in the way of Tenors, then you would want to buy from a reputed seller with a return policy and a guarantee the horn furnished will play out of the case fine, no additional work/expense needed on your end. To do anything less opens yourself to the risk that you'll end up with something which needs add'l investment to get it to play well.

$1200 can get you a really good used Tenor. I mean, $700 can get you a used YTS-23 in great shape; $625 can get you the Vito-branded version of that horn (still made by Yamaha). Again am talking completely serviced - you can see them sold for less but I guarantee you they aren't gonna be completely serviced.
I sell a lot of both of these. Jupiters are another option (as long as they were made after around 1999). I refurb and sell a LOT of Tenors in the sub-$1300 price range that could fit the bill. I have a Buffet 100 here which also fits that price point, very nice horns with a nicer tonal quality than any of the aforementioned. So there are options there...and you are doing what you should be doing, coming to a place like this and asking questions.

Of course, one issue I come across with parents buying for their kids = aesthetics. Oftentimes the family really WANTS the sax to look nice and new. Which is only gonna happen with a new horn. But the trade-off is you get a better quality instrument, more reliable, for significantly less $. And usually you can find something which has still been cleaned up nicely and doesn't look 'bad' by any means.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I second the used Buffet recommendation. Huge bang for the buck and higher quality than even Yamaha in my experience. I picked up a Buffet Alto that was practically mint and easily worth over $1k for $150 from a parent of a kid that had only played it a year or two. So there are some amazing deals out there.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Of course, one issue I come across with parents buying for their kids = aesthetics. Oftentimes the family really WANTS the sax to look nice and new. Which is only gonna happen with a new horn.
I have to differ with this small part of an otherwise soundly argued post. Perhaps only a new horn will look absolutely "new" (which is sort of a tautology anyway), but it's by no means rare to find a used sax that looks very, very nice. I have purchased two used saxes that I would rate as 100 percent aesthetically perfect (one was only a few months old; the other was maybe 15 yrs old, but a "closet queen"), and three other used saxes that had such good lacquer and minor blemishes that they would surely please any family looking for the "shiny" factor.

You can't guarantee that you will find a used tenor that (a) fits the budget, (b) plays great up and down, and (c) is aesthetically impressive, but it's not impossible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My apologies,

I live in the USA, Southern California. Yamaha saxophones have a wonderful reputation, I just think the price to too much for his age. He is considered to be an experienced player. Thanks again for your quick replies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And most instructors and band directors have contacts and sources for instruments. $1200 ought to put you into a good looking, good playing Yamaha, as well as other good options.
The instructors recommend saxophones like Yamaha, P. Mauriat and some other very expensive makes. I live in Southern California, USA. I want to thank you all for suggesting some sites to find good used saxophones. This is why I'm happy to be a forum member.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Guitar and saxophone
420 Posts
The instructors recommend saxophones like Yamaha, P. Mauriat and some other very expensive makes. I live in Southern California, USA. I want to thank you all for suggesting some sites to find good used saxophones. This is why I'm happy to be a forum member.
Can't go wrong with a used Yamaha YTS-23 in good working condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,120 Posts
...buying a secondhand saxophone gives more bang for buck.
- assuming the seller is honest, knowledgable and fair; moreover that the buyer knows how to navigate the market for used instruments. It is definitely not without pitfalls. The new Just Saxes Crescent alto sax that I purchased quite some time ago was worth every penny, so much that I have regretted not keeping it and selling my Yanagisawa alto sax instead, as the latter is overkill when I mainly play tenor.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts