Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm thinking of changing my Yamaha Y275 and I have some doubts on differente models:

On one han I have seen Keilwerth SX90R but I have doubts about the great differences in prices dependen on the finish of the sx90r. DOes the Shadow or Vintage sound as good as the gold lack one.

On the other hand I have also liked the Yanagisawa T991 or the T901 or the T902.

Could you advice me about?
Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,526 Posts
well, this has the potential to spark yet another diatribe on finish but there is no difference between the different Keilwerth finish, only between any saxophone (regardless of the material) so there will be some differences among different Keilwerths exactly as there are among Selmer or Keilwerth of the same type. Don't pay attention to those who say that black nickel sound darker than silver (which is , of course, :bluewink:.....bright!) and that copper is way warmer than brass.

Having said this (which opens the usual can of worms...... I know......)

You are comparing saxophones which are very radically different and to me are therefore....... incomparable.

The Yanagisawa tenors are the epitome of the technical perfection and some like their sound.......but some don't, they find them having a less than marked personality.

The Keiwerths are different animals . If there is a saxophone out there which is very different from anything else made by Yanagisawa this must be a Keilwerth ( but also Rampone & Cazzani's ) . You really have to play them side by side to see how different they are from a Yanagisawa.

I, personally, would go for a Keilwerth.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you very very mucho for your advice. the kind of music I like to play is blues and rythm and blues so yo definitely think I should go for keilwerth one?

you helped me a lot.

·
39,526 Posts
Blues? Oh! YES! Keilwerth! :bluewink: enjoy!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,334 Posts
thank you very very mucho for your advice. the kind of music I like to play is blues and rythm and blues so yo definitely think I should go for keilwerth one?
I play a lot of blues, R & B, but I don't understand why a Keilwerth would be more suitable for blues than any other saxophone of the same or better quality.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'll go for the keilwerth and will not drive crazy about the finish.

You were really helpful

Thanks a lot

·
39,526 Posts
I play a lot of blues, R & B, but I don't understand why a Keilwerth would be more suitable for blues than any other saxophone of the same or better quality.
ok, a Rampone & Cazzani then? :)

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,334 Posts
Which one would you chooes Pete Thomas?
Out of all the tenors I recently tested (which was a lot), my only choices would be a P.Mauriat 66, A Bauhaus Walstein, a Rampone & Cazzani or an Inderbinen. (I did buy the R & C). Yanagisawas are no doubt lovely saxophones (I especially enjoyed play the solid silver one), but in the end I found that when I really pushed them hard (which I would for R & B) the tone did not stand up so well. But maybe that is just me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your answer. I think I was probably wrong trying to have in mind just the three out of the for bigger sax makers.

·
39,526 Posts
I was under the impression that the title of the thread gave the option of choosing between Keilwerth SX90R and A Yanagisawa T991 or the T901 or the T902.

Within that context I thought that the Keilwerth would be a better choice for OP to play the Blues and R&B.......given what he asked us.

Of course there are other options, but , he didn't ask us that.

Any thread whit an open question such as " what would be the best tenor to play the blues " would end up with the enumeration of brands and types of saxophones and OP might still not know what he wants........

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're right milandro, I'm lost about it. I thought that chossing between the "big four" was the best but it seems for this kind of music not only thebig four are godd but there are other brands that could be much better.
Could you let me know your oppinion about especific models?

·
39,526 Posts
I think that one can play almost anything on anything..........so it is by and large a matter of personal preference. It sounds simplistic or even silly but we all have , in our mind, a concept of the sound that we want and we try to to conform to it with the choices of mouthpiece, reed and saxophone and it is most difficult to communicate it to others. Ultimately you have to go out and play the horns that you can find.

Choosing the first two (mouthpiece and reed) is very complicated and it is a process that , sometimes, takes a lifetime. Choosing the horn is a process that involves as much rational or practical things as irrational ones.

Some of us go for what works for somebody else. You have seen and heard your heroes and then you decide , this will be what I want to play. Then you go look for the horn that your heroes play and hopefully you find it. This has to be the reason that many play and pay lots of money for Mark VI's , regardless of their sound and quality (which sometimes is very high but there are many lows too!), because great artists have played them or still play them.

Some others go for what feels comfortable , one horn is definitely not the other and its feel can be very important. The ergonomics of some old Conns can be very challenging, for example.

Some again decide to go for a certain look. There is no denying that looks are important and one can say I like a certain type because it looks what I want to look like (or looks like what your hero plays). Within those parameters you might search and find it.

Some want a certain sound and say : " I want a dark and deep sounding horn" (.......but I have yet to find someone who says " I want a bright and thin sounding horn " , although there are definitely horns and players who sound that way! ) and then go search that type of sound among the horns credited to have it.

So, there are many many roads to Rome.

I cannot tell you which will be yours. Sometimes the best way to Rome is to start your journey anywhere and then see how it goes. Sometimes one, by sheer serendipity, finds the ideal on his path. Like one day when someone came to my place to swap his tenor King Super 20 for my Selmer SA 80II alto........I got what I describe like an instantaneous electric shock as I touched the horn and never wanted to part with it since.

I suggest that you think of who has the kind of sound the closest to your sound concept and that you start trying if you can play that type of horn and if you like it too (looks are important, I know).

Go out there and also try to play horns that are credited to be in the same ballpark. When you started the thread you mentioned two, in my view, antipodal horns. In other words you couldn't have chosen two more different horns.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks once more. I know I'm looking forthe sound but the main problem is that where I live there's no opportunity to try the saxes and then decide.

·
39,526 Posts
yes, I thought that you might be in such a plight. Would you be buying on line? New?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
Can't understand why so many guy's need someone else to make their minds up for them. Forget makes and models and whats 'in' or 'out'. Get a horn you are comfortable with, in good playing order and-------play!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's quite ease Bopity. If you take into account that sometimes it's not possible to try several saxes to make a decission, I think it's good to ask to more experienced people about. This is good not only about saxes but about much more things.

·
39,526 Posts
OP has told us that he doesn't have many options that he can go first hand to try and see if he is comfortable with or they play as he expects in a shop nearby and that he would be buying a new horn, probably on line.

I advise you to read through the large SOTW archives. I am sure that any horn available to you has been dissected and analysed many times over. You still won't know how you play on it but if you can't go out and try them it would be the next best thing in terms of making an informed choice. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts