Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently Purchased a Silver SBA Alto.

When I Purchased it I had the chance to play it on a gig - and I also had 2 MkVI's and an 82Z with me on the gig to play against. I could go into explaining what I learned but that is better left for another post.

I loved the SBA in terms of its projection and responce. I also tried the Mk VI necks on the SBA and got alittle more bottom end to the sound - most everything else was where i wanted it still - but my gut was telling me it wasnt what the horn wanted.

Now - I could be perfectly happy with this Stock neck - however - my question is - Is there anybody out there with an SBA Alto that has input on what happens to the tone when they used an after market neck?

Thanks
Charles

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've tried a Barone and MkVI neck on a SBA.
Both made the sound a little gutsier,
probably what you are calling more bottom end.
( More "guts" vs more "***" in the sound?? )
Good or bad, the Barone seemed to be a little less nasal ( less nose?).
More open and spread, but perhaps less color or "character"
than the SBA neck.

What other body part analogies can apply to saxophone sound?

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL - My buddy sitting next to me dealing with my trials called it -more "Junk in the Trunk"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2009
434 Posts
I've been messing around with necks on my lacquer SBA lately, even thinking I might pick up a NOS Mark VI (non serial #) neck that I have a chance to buy. What I have tried on it so far are a delacquered Yani A991 neck and a bronze A992 neck. At first I liked them both better than the stock SBA neck—seem to blow more open, with a cleaner low end. When I go back to the stock neck, though, it still sounds really good to me, but it is a little more prone to bell key gurgle. So far I think my favorite is the 992 neck. It's got a little more whiskers to it and is really fun to play. Great dynamic range too—whispers or roars without a blink.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts