Sax on the Web Forum banner

Adult Saxophone Group

5K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  tenorcat 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am new in the Saxophone world. I have just learned how to play Sax for about 8 months, and I have a lot of fun.
I just wonder if it is common in the Sax community to have a Sax Group. Other than Sax, I play piano and I belong to several Piano Groups.
I am looking for a Sax group.

How about adult Sax competition, do we have that kind of competition?

Ron

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Competing is not a bad idea. I compete in several amateur piano competitions. It is a way for me to force myself to practice diligently and smartly. In addition, it also makes me keep taking a lesson. Without taking lesson people at my level will not improve consistently. When I just joined this adult piano group, I was more at the bottom level of the group. Most the members do not take lesson and afraid of entering competition (for any reason), I am the few one who keeps competing and taking lesson. Now, after 7 years, I am the best pianist among those original people who joined the group. Therefore, I am a big proponent of performing infront of people, taking lesson, and competing. Once I can play Saxophone well enough, I will form an amateur Saxophone group like what I did with piano. I am guessing it will be more difficult to form. Because it will be less people playing Saxophone seriously. There are so many serious adult pianists.

This coming Dec, I will perform at my teacher's 1st student recital. I forced him to do student recital. Of course, I helped to organize the event. It appears most of Saxophone teachers are also not into having student recitals. It is not like piano teachers who are usually very into having student recitals. Most Saxophone teachers are males, and to be honest, males are usually lazy to organize thing. I am not surprised about this.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Gee, the more you post how about how wonderful you are, and how wonderful others are not, I feel less inclined to be interested in what you have to say.

OK, so you are a big fish in a small pond of piano players that choose to compete. Next?

Whatever is wrong with playing for the sake of the music? For being the best YOU can be, regardless of the "competition"?

Judge yourself by YOUR progress, rather than than that of the person next to you. Sure, you can be better than them, but can you be better than YOU?
In the amateur piano world, there are people like you Dr. G who are not into competition. Competing is not an easy thing, not everybody is able to play well under pressure. For me, the challange is to be able to play well under competition setup. I feel I achieve something if I can play well under that situation. Playing in my own living room is a good thing, but not challenging enough for me. If you are not into this thing, you do not need to put down others who enjoy competing as a vehicle to get better. It took me about 3 years to be able to play without anxiety in front of people, and after every recital I learned something new to correct my mistakes. Therefore, I try to find amateur competition for Sax or Sax group where we can perform for each other, for this way works for me with piano.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.