Sax on the Web Forum banner

Adult Saxophone Group

5K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  tenorcat 
I am new in the Saxophone world. I have just learned how to play Sax for about 8 months, and I have a lot of fun.
I just wonder if it is common in the Sax community to have a Sax Group. Other than Sax, I play piano and I belong to several Piano Groups.
I am looking for a Sax group.
First, everything depends on exactly where you live. What counts is what you can find -- or start up, if you're bold -- in your own community.

Second, what do you mean by "sax group"? Do you mean an ensemble of musicians, such as a saxophone quartet, saxophone quintet, or larger saxophone choir or saxophone chamber orchestra? These groups are pretty common, although the larger ones tend to be associated mainly with universities. I play in a saxophone ensemble that varies between four and six musicians, so we can play a lot of different repertory.

Or, by "sax group," do you mean a kind of club for saxophone players, in which people get together to swap music or equipment, discuss issues of common interest, etc.?

How about adult Sax competition, do we have that kind of competition?
Organized, formally judged musical competitions tend to be limited to professionals or very advanced students. I've never heard of a formal saxophone competition for amateurs. (I believe there is one for pianists, but they are highly skilled, close-to-pro-level amateurs.) But nothing's stopping you from convening a "sax battle" in which you and some colleagues jam together and see who impresses the most. You might be able to find something like that at a night club with an open-mike night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.