Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
From the photos, it appears similar in design to the Balam strap, but with a larger spacer, less fussy rigging, and a much lower price (on Amazon, at least). I wonder how the build quality compares.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I bought one, because frankly, I'm too cheap to buy a balam and needed something to get the sax off my neck.
I tried the saxholder and just found it uncomfortable, and didn't work well when sitting.
I also tried a neotech harness. It worked well, but was difficult to adjust for more than one horn, and is tricky to get on and off quickly. There is also the fact that I looked like I needed to have a ball gag as an additional accessory.

The adorence system is quite comfortable. It is easily adjustable, and it gets the weight off the neck. It doesn't look any worse than some of the other thickly padded straps. It's as easy to don as a regular neckstrap. Mine is currently adjusted so that I can use it for both alto and tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
the NEW Saxholder pro is very different from the older model.

I liked the ol one but I prefer the new

I don’t think I will ever go for this but my friend might

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The adorence system is quite comfortable. It is easily adjustable, and it gets the weight off the neck.
One complaint I have with the Balam is that the straps (really leather-bound aluminum strips) are angled on a bias, so they don't lie flat across the chest unless you bend them longitudinally with pliers and a vice, which must be repeated if you adjust the straps again. It seems to me the Adorence might avoid that issue due to the large spacer out front, yeah?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Ok so I caved and ordered one. Should arrive in the next couple of days--here's hoping it's more comfy than the Balam. The Balam itself isn't bad, but tends to slip a bit and need frequent readjustment, which isn't easy.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Still happy with your Adorence, lostcircuits? I'm growing frustrated with my Balam, and might try this strap instead.
I'm still happy with mine. I've been playing mostly alto lately, though.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I'm still happy with mine. I've been playing mostly alto lately, though.
Glad to hear it! On your recommendation and that of lostcircuits, I went ahead and ordered one.

I got the black leather version, though the traditional brown and funky red leather also looked good. The contrasting stitching is a nice "vintage" touch. The build quality seems as good as the Balam at first blush, though I feel that the design of the Adorence is better overall on a number of points. Most significantly, the longer shoulder straps means that the weight of the horn spread is distributed more broadly and more evenly between your back and shoulders, while the increased contact makes it less likely to slip, at least in my preliminary user tests.

The spacer in front is shiny brass, which wouldn’t be my first choice, but then neither would the ornate stylings of the Balam’s metalwork. But it’s much wider than the Balam spacer, so the straps can be adjusted to sit wider on your shoulders, and the straps rest flat against your body, instead of on a bias like the Balam. Best of all, it doesn’t slip like the spacer on my Balam (though I understand the newer version has a non-slip mechanism). I find the Adorence easier to adjust to the proper length for me when switching between alto and tenor (I don't play soprano or bari).

The Adorence’s hook is the type that closes with a spring-loaded button—the same type found on some dog leashes or the Cebulla, except it’s metal. It’s larger than the Balam hook, which is tricky to use on fat rings like those on my Armstrong tenor, and it has a longer plastic covering than the Balam hook, so should offer better protection against metal-on-metal contact. Those who prefer open J-hooks might be disappointed.

The Balam has very elaborate rigging, which perhaps gives it more overall adjustability. But it also means that shortening the front straps to accommodate your preferred length means untying tiny knots that have to be fished out of these little bells, which I found quite tricky. Maybe a sailor or weaver would prefer the Balam’s rigging, but I just find it needlessly elaborate and annoying.

The rigging on the Adorence is far simpler, and is secured in front with little metal spring-clamps instead of knots tucked inside of bells, which alone makes its strap length far, far easier to adjust. While the Adorence does have two knot-bells in the back, they are easier to undo and adjust because the cord is more easily slackened than that on the Balam, which is thinner and threaded in a rather Baroque (or perhaps Celtic) manner. In any case, it’s unlikely you’d need to undo those knots on the Adorence.

Like the Balam, the Adorence fits under a suit jacket; but unlike the Balam, it doesn’t fit inside the bell of a tenor in its case, due to the extra length and curve of its back straps. That makes it a bit of a challenge to transport, the only downside I can see with this strap.

Overall, for my own physique and playing posture, the Adorence is preferable to the Balam. It’s also less than half the price, and readily available in Canada through Amazonia--took just two days to arrive, in fact. I can only hope that some local stores will begin to stock it, or that its producer is a boutique craftsman using ethically sourced materials, but would be surprised if it were so.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Thanks for the comparison to the balam. Looks like I made the right choice.

I totally agree that the spacer is too shiny, but that's a minor consideration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum, joined just to ask this - would you still recommend the Adorence strap over the Balam now that it is a few months down the track? Comfort is the main criteria, then build quality and ease of use for me. I've tried another backstrap but the pressure it puts on the front gets uncomfortable over time. Thanks in advance!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I'm still using mine.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Still using mine every day too. The only negative is that some of the stitching around the leather began to fray a bit, but it hasn't progressed. Like the Balam, it takes some initial adjustment. But it's more comfy and an overall better design than the Balam, IMHO, and less than half the price.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Another small problem with my Adorence: the rubber sleeve around the hook eventually wore off. It was easy to replace, but a bit annoying nonetheless. Even so, it's still a really good value, and fits better than other straps I've tried. The wide straps and spacer make all the difference.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still happy with your Adorence, lostcircuits? I'm growing frustrated with my Balam, and might try this strap instead.
I'm sorry, I completely missed this but yes, I am still extremely happy with mine! And I am still using it "out of the box". My main issue right now is that I had a tree fall down my driveway and I cut it up to move it but one of the sections was still somewhat heavy and it caused an inguinal hernia. Short story, I have to sit to play unless I want my guts to poke out and then I have to push them in again using my fist. Hopefully I can get the surgery done next week but as of now I am using mostly a standard neck strap. But as soon as I can stand up again ... Adorence all the way again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts