Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edouard Sax and Baird military deal

Hi everyone. So this is quite a confusing story and i can't seem to find any legit info regarding the originality of it.
I need some advice since I know very little about the history of the saxophone. A friend told me this story and I would like to know if anyone has heard or knows anything similar.

Ok, so, when Adolphe Sax passed, he left his legacy for his son, Edouard to continue and expand. Some time after Edouard took over, he got a deal from the military to manufacture 100 Tenors for them. He wasn't up for the job, so someone by the name of Baird stepped in and offered to manufacture the needed tenors in Edouard's workshop. This was around 1915. These tenors were branded as "Baird Soliste" and didn't have any serial numbers. After this deal went through Selmer took over from Edouard and history ran its course like we all know it.

Does anyone have some info regarding this story? Like I said, I have never heard of this and the means of this thread is to find out if it really did occur.
Any insight regarding this will be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
From Selmer's website:

1929:

"Purchase of the Adolphe Sax workshops: Selmer Paris becomes sole legatee of the saxophone concept."

"Creation of Selmer-London.

Presentation of a special model of saxophone (n°9 909), with twelve amethysts for the international exhibition of Barcelona.

Release of the saxophone 28 New large bore."

Again, here's the link:

http://www.selmer.fr/histliste.php?page=debut

1 - 4 of 4 Posts