Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have got Adolphe Alto Sax.can any one tell me the manufacturer and the value of it.
Please find the detail below.

1ER GRAND Prix DE Latacture Instrumentere

MEDAILLE "D" or 1900

Adolphe Sax
84.RUE Myrha
PARIS
NO: 770

appreciate any information on it.

Thanks,
Ravindra Dabhi

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Thats probably an Adolphe Sax made by Selmer, after they bought Selmers workshop in 1929.
According to saxpics they made about 1300 of them. I have collected data about them for a while now and have registered about 30 of them.
From the SN# 210 to #1249.

I have one of those myself, a tenor :)

Great horns. Hard to value, but ebayers tend to sell them for HIGH prices (or not really sell them, rather TRY to sell them).
Prices can vary from £1000 and £3500 on ebay, but that's on tenors.
Altos are cheaper, between £1000(?) and £1500.

But remember that most of these prices are based on ebay prices and most of them were not sold at these prices.
I should add that all of them needed complete overhauls!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an Adolphe Sax tenor serial number 689. Same vintage, rue Myhra, etc. Nice horn but it is missing the original neck. I have a Mark VI neck on it with ok results. Maybe a model 22 or even Balanced Action neck would be better. Any ideas would be helpful. I doubt I could ever find a neck from that era.

Bkenes - if you have a tenor from the same era, could you send me a picture of the neck and some measurements, it might help narrow down the search.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Hello Geoff, I have registered 687 (an alto), I would love to register yours as well!
I'll send you a Pm.

I'll give you some measurements as soon as I have the time!
The necks should be the same, The Adolphe Selmers are all the same after around 250-300 in SN#.

·
Registered
112 Posts
770 was built in 1933.
Just beneath the D tone hole should be a serial number. That is the number Selmer put on the body tube, look up that Selmer number and it will tell you the Selmer model.
Mine is a New Big Bore, tenor.

·
Registered
580 Posts
770 was built in 1933.
Just beneath the D tone hole should be a serial number. That is the number Selmer put on the body tube, look up that Selmer number and it will tell you the Selmer model.
Mine is a New Big Bore, tenor.
Well six years have passed and sadly the horn has passed down to me. I've checked all over it and am pretty sure there's no serial number on the body or neck. She's nickel and has plain touches with no pearls, in pretty nice shape but not playable...old pads with no reflectors or rivets.
It's just sitting under the stairs, maybe I will get it overhauled even though it will cost more than it's worth I suspect. Came with a wooden mouthpiece in ok shape too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.