Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I've played a STM 7* on my soprano, but when I upgraded my (no-namer) horn to a (brighter) Yamaha 675 I wanted to tone it down a little - make it a little more delicate. So I ordered a Selmer metal piece, "G", and tried it with a bunch of reeds - RJS, Hemke, Vandoren Jazz (all 2.5). They were obviously all reeds I had bought for the STM.

With the new mouthpiece, the tone was very nice in the lower register, softer and darker. Not so good in the upper register though. For a start the intonation was out - the upper octave was sharper than the lower. But by the time I get to top D, it chokes right out. I can barely get a top E to sound at all.

Is there something I'm missing? Should I be trying a harder reed?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
I can empathize but I cannot offer a solution. A very similar thing happened to me when I tried a Selmer metal G. I thought it was defective and returned it. I went on to a Meyer for a mellow sound.

Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,629 Posts
Metal Selmers vary a lot what comes to quality. Maybe you have a dud or in my case I just had to learn to play that thing (Selmer Classic E). It feels quite different in my mouth compared to my other soprano mouthpieces. I've used Rico Royal #3's with it. I play also a Yamaha soprano. The Selmer makes it darker sounding that's for sure. Also HR Links are pretty nice on soprano. My #6 HR Link also darkens my bright Yamaha soprano. It's easier to play than the Selmer but on the other hand the Selmer has a magnificient sound!

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I play Selmer metals sometimes on Soprano and have played them for years. I owned a 62 Yamaha when they first appeared and it did not like the Selmer pieces at all. They play great on Selmers particularly Mark V1's but not on my Yamaha. The response was ok but it threw the tuning way out. The best piece back then I found for the Yamaha was a Rousseau 4 which had great intonation on the Y for which it was designed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts