Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! a few weeks back i posted a thread asking everyone if it was hard to switch between a hard rubber mouthpiece to a metal, and overall I noticed most said it wouldn't necessarily be really difficult but it would take some getting used to. I decided to order a Link STM and it came in the mail today! Overall I love the sound I am getting from it and the way it feels in my mouth doesn't really bother me in anyway, which is good! The only thing I have been noticing is I have been squeaking a little when I try to play louder and some of my notes are a bit flat. I assume this is because I am so used to blowing with my Jody Jazz HR and I just need some adjusting with playing this one. I have been practicing a lot of long tones and it seems to help! Do you think continuously practicing long tones overall will stop the squeaking? I also didn't switch to a new reed as I have just been using this one for about a week but do you guys think I should grab another one from the box and try it with that one? should i possibly change reed strength? I was very comfortable using Rico La Voz Medium hard with my HR but should i try out new ones? Any advice helps! Thanks!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,500 Posts
Long tones: That is a name that covers a lot of territory. No, just playing a note for a long time will not make it better - it may, in fact, reinforce bad habits and make your sound worse. Get some personal instruction to set you on the right path.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Could be the old reed had conformed to shape of previous mpc and that is causing trouble.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Could be the old reed had conformed to shape of previous mpc and that is causing trouble.
That was my first thought. My other thought is just the switch in general might take some getting used to. I squeek a little bit whenever I try a new mouthpiece and sometimes the reed cut you used before doesn't jive as well on the new mouthpiece. Or you're trying to play the new mouthpiece the same way as you played the old mouthpiece and it causes these little hiccups.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
Try the new reed and remember that if it has the thumb screw type ligature, it is important to make sure the reed is exactly even where the edges conform to the rails. I find the STM to be very sensitive and the ligature to be a bit iffy. Not lined up = squeaks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Yeah. I do not use the lig that comes with those. I got an old alto berg two screw that fits great, and ended the battle over position and the chirps.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
New(er) STM ligatures really suck - the plate binds or rotates at just the wrong time, or knocks the reed out of alignment or.... The best substitute is the el-cheapo Rico (hmm there's a song in there...) - https://www.amazon.com/Rico-Ligatur...igature+tenor&qid=1560294457&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Seems like D'Addario may be discontinuing these in favor of the H-ligature, more expensive but still OK. (And they look better against the gold plating of the Link). But they aren't quite as good in my opinion. Lotta guys like the Selmer 404 on these mouthpieces, I don't because I prefer the inverted style, and they have to be bent a bit to fit right, but they also work well. All of these are head and shoulders (and maybe a few other body parts) above the stock Link ligature of today.

Regarding reeds, you should always try a new mouthpiece with a new reed.

See if these solutions stop the squeaks. (And if not, just pretend you are Stan Getz...)

79 Posts
Every time I've made a mouthpiece change the experience has been one of complete improvement. Both in sound concept and in physical effort to play. I am fortunate to have a store that has an excellent selection of equipment to try before making a commitment. In one instance I had to run through 4 mouthpieces from the same manufacturer before settling on the 'one'. I was surprised at how very different each one played given they were all the same model. That experience hammered home the idea not all things are created equal even when they're supposed to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts