Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've bought a new student Jupiter alto a few months back (JAS-565-567).
The action (I think thats the right expression), is a bit too stiff for my liking.
Especially the left hand pinkie keys - C# and B - I really have to push down on and are rather difficult for me to move very fast between.

Is it a big job to adjust the action so that things are easier? What would be the approximate cost ? Or would I be able to do this myself ? (I assume not ).

Thanks for your feedback

Crowfield.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
The tightness for the springing of these keys involves the tension in the G# lever spring, which in turn involves the tension in the depends on the G# key spring, and also the friction involved where they link, and the lever system.

If the low C# is 'articulated' on this model, then you must also ensure that the C# lever's spring can easily overpower the C# KEY's spring.

If you can come to grips with all that, you can de-tension springs yourself.

Otherwise you'd better get somebody who knows what they are doing.

On some models all this would take a technician only a few minutes. On others it would be very difficult to achieve. And there is everything in between. It's a while since I have seen any Jupiter, so I cannot be more specific.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
Translation: Bring it to a tech before you screw it up ;)

If you trust the people you bought it from bring it to them. They may take care of it for you as an act of good customer service....either way it is possible and inexpensive. Suffering is costly.

·
17,204 Posts
Sigmund451 said:
Translation: Bring it to a tech before you screw it up ;)..
Well done! :)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
...but it's so much fun to watch your tech's eyes roll and mutter under his breath after you've bent a few keys to make them 'better'.;);););)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,310 Posts
FWIW - bending the springs so they are lighter/stronger is easy.:D

It's when they snap - then things get interesting....:x

As mentioned before - an understanding of the relationships & spring tension between the keys is helpful - even critical if things are going to work right.

Yes, take it to a tech.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, I think thats a definate "dont try this at home.." :D

·
17,204 Posts
"Thanks everyone, I think thats a definate "dont try this at home.." :D

"
JerryJamz2 said:
Should be a banner ad at the top of all pages of SOTW!!:D
But perhpas not. If I had taken that advice, I would not be a reasonably good technician now. I would not be a technician, period!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts