Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, looking for a little advice as someone new to Selmer horns.

I played in high school and college on a Yamaha 61 alto, then stopped playing. I picked up playing again last year and it's been great! After dropping some money into getting my horn overhauled, I still wasn't getting out of it what I wanted, and decided that for the first time ever I was going to get a new horn for myself. After trying out the new 62, the AW01 and the Seles Axos (and some of the Taiwan horns), I ended up going home with the Axos.

I love everything about it. I love how it still sounds like a Selmer, but has a lot that I liked about my Yamaha in the sound and tuning. One thing that did not carry over however is the ergonomics. Most of it is fine, but the right-hand pinky keys just sit differently to how they sat on my Yamaha.

Has anyone had any success in adjusting these keys to sit more comfortably, or is it just something I'm going to have to get used to?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I just tried a Yamaha 62 tenor Wednesday and had the same problem. My hands are on the smallish size for my height. My arthritic right pinky was having trouble reaching the keys. I talked one of the senior techs at Tim's Music in Sacramento and he showed me pictures of a sax he made custom pinky keys for. They were for a girl/woman with tiny childlike hands (he showed me a picture of her hand on the sax) and he had to bend an S curve in the metal that the spatulas are on. Then he fabricated new spatulas complete with rollers for her. It was impressive. If you really need it done I'd talk to someone at Tim's. I see you're in Oregon so at least you're not on the other side of the world from Sacto. By the way, I'm not going to buy the Yamaha. To me it sounded stuffy and wasn't nearly as nice as the Yani I tried besides not fitting my hands.

https://timsmusicsacramento.com/index.php?page=repair

I didn't get his name but he's the guy on the right.
View attachment 227396

I can't figure out how to detach the bottom image. Wrong guy in the pic.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts