Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nine mos. ago. Hmm...guess I was wee bit too enthusiastic. The adjustapads didn’t last long in my good book. I’ve taken them all out and have begun the repad. I’ve attached some pics of these infamous pads.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,807 Posts
very interesting, quite by chance , I’ve spoken with some friends about the adjustapads just last week-end.

We were also comparing them to the later patent from the Dutch Toptone® ( I’ve spolen earlier in this thread about them) by the Dutch innovator Rienk Smeding (read about them here a very interesting article discussing them) https://www.kingmaflutes.com/documenten/bijsterschulp.pdf

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,886 Posts
Floating pads is normally used referring to a installation or repair technique whereby pads are put in the keycup with warm glue and then my closing the pad the pad finds its position in the keycup.
@sandster I have edited the title, this will help a lot with people finding the thread appropriately (as opposed to thinking it is a bout the processof floating normal pads in the cup)

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,202 Posts
One of my youngest students is playing on my Bundy II alto.
I put all new pads, corks, felts in it, and it needed nothing else except a little regulation.
Looks great, plays well, and I was happy to get it for almost nothing.

Unloved for sure, but it is a decent horn. I would gig on it.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
@sandster I have edited the title, this will help a lot with people finding the thread appropriately (as opposed to thinking it is a bout the processof floating normal pads in the cup)
Thanks, Pete. Keep up the good work! It's almost time to bring out your Christmas album. (y)
BTW, I'm going to start floating my new pads, 'cause they're not all closing. So, I will put in more shellac this time.

·
38,807 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks, Pete. Keep up the good work! It's almost time to bring out your Christmas album. (y)
BTW, I'm going to start floating my new pads, 'cause they're not all closing. So, I will put in more shellac this time.
I've given up. It's going to my favourite tech. :mad:

·
38,807 Posts
there has to be a reason why these pads were changed on almost all of these horns still playing, even if they were good at the time when they were produced , unlike neoprene which lasts many many years ( I know of people and several technicians around the world still owning stashes of them and installing Toptone pads) rubber doesn’t last as long and keep as well

21 - 29 of 29 Posts