Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the fixed thumb hook of my Professional 2000 tenor with an adjustable version.
The "solder on" backplate & fixing screw are Selmer, & the "teardrop" finial is on back order, to be added when I receive it.
The actual hook provided was too small, & uncomfortable, so I made one in 3mm acrylic to suit me.
Photograph attached with some further snaps of the horn...following MMM's suggestion for photographs of our Grassis.
The eagle eyed may well notice that the thumb hook is not the only deviation from standard. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,810 Posts
Amazing!

·
5,443 Posts
Very nice looking horn. Unique and striking!

One question though - is that Klingonese on the bell in the 4th photo? :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Does the finish enhance the tone?

·
5,443 Posts
Depends upon which finish on which part of the horn you're talking about. :mrgreen:
One finish on the neck, a second on the body & bow, and back to the first finish on the bell. That could be pretty confusing for the poor little sound waves bouncing around in side that tube!

·
6,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends upon which finish on which part of the horn you're talking about. :mrgreen:
One finish on the neck, a second on the body & bow, and back to the first finish on the bell. That could be pretty confusing for the poor little sound waves bouncing around in side that tube!
Fortunately they are on the inside....not aware of what is happening on the outside.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Of course, as we all know, the majority of the 'tone' comes from within the player, so pride of ownership, excellent playability, and satisfaction from the decorative work (very well) done, really enhances the creative libido... :bluewink:

Brilliant Beeflat, plus it's a great 'conversation piece' as well ! All aspects covered, eh ? Can't quite make out which mouthpiece you've settled on for it ?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Captain Bb, that's really a work of art!

Can I ask one question? I cannot understand if the patterns on the keys/keyguards are engraved or if you have built on (or glued on something) to create that texture?
Only curious!

Again, a very unique sax!

Cheers,
M.

·
6,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Captain Bb, that's really a work of art!

Can I ask one question? I cannot understand if the patterns on the keys/keyguards are engraved or if you have built on (or glued on something) to create that texture?
Only curious!

Again, a very unique sax!

Cheers,
M.
Simply acrylic paint varnished over (several coats) for protection.
The palm key risers are glass fibre resin treated with the same finish.
The overall colour is achieved with alcohol inks....again protected with several coats of varnish.

cmelodysax.
Whereas the Metalite mouthpiece is perfect on my Martin Typewriter, it is less than perfect on the Grassi....for reasons I fail to understand, but of which we are all aware.
The Grassi simply loves the SR Technologies 115 Fusion.
Thanks to all for your kind comments.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Beautiful thumbhook/rest! Were there other changes? j/k... What a work of art. Amazing. Thanks for sharing these photos here.

·
6,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those of you with long memories may remember that I opened this thread with photographs of my modification to convert my Grassi tenor’s fixed thumb rest to an adjustable item.
Because of the horn’s ergos & possibly my hand size, further mods were required in an attempt to reduce, or eliminate, pain in my right thumb.
Please spare me didactic homilies with respect to the fact that no weight should bear on the right thumb!
The contact point of the thumb rest is, in my case, the top of the first joint….consequently, with point contact, increasing the width of the thumb rest was not a solution.
The attached photographs serve to shew that my subsequent mods…..incorporating two arms…. either side of the top joint, have resulted in the elimination of any weight on the first thumb joint & any load is also spread over both joints. Consequently, any cantilever load on the second joint (the source of pain) is much reduced.
It seems to have the desired effect…..much more comfortable.
As we all differ physically, perhaps there is a market for individually tailored, bespoke, thumb rests.

·
Registered
428 Posts
What a great looking sax. I've had a lot of trouble with my thumb versus thumbrest so accidently I discovered that I don't need it on tenor at all and just took it off, a bit of rubber glued to the F# trill guard to take off the edge and I'm away.

·
6,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What a great looking sax. I've had a lot of trouble with my thumb versus thumbrest so accidently I discovered that I don't need it on tenor at all and just took it off, a bit of rubber glued to the F# trill guard to take off the edge and I'm away.
What a brilliant idea....cure the problem at source!
I have just tried your method, but it could require practice....an initial positional stability issue; but what a good idea.

·
6,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ed.
With practice, your idea becomes increasingly more attractive.
For me, the F# trill guard, as a location point, is too high so now I am embarking on my Mk3 thumb rest...a shaped pad replacing the hook as such.
Again, my thanks....I admire simplicity.

·
6,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just made one. An acrylic plate with an inward curve at the top, for stability & location,....ie. the start of a hook.
Perfect. :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi Ed and Captain,
Could you each post a photo of your"F# trill guard solution?" It may be what I'm after for a similar painful right thumb issue on my older pre-jade rollers Grassi tenor.
Thanks,
Dave

·
6,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dave.
Mine does not involve the F# guard....simply a chopped off hook arrangement which looks an unlikely solution. Shall post a photograph tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts